I found what looks like a shell in my tortoises cage!!

stanley.tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hello, a very worried tortoise owner here! As I was cleaning my torts enclosed I noticed what looked to be a decaying shell in the dirt. I checked my tortoises shell and it appears to be just fine but with a red stain as I thought this to be blood. I gave him a wash and everything seems to be normal but I can’t explain the shell in his cage! Please any idea as to what it could be and how it could have happened as I’m very worried

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
what type of tortoise do you have? at first I was thinking oh if this is a water turtle perhaps they are just shedding...the blood is a bit disconcerting though...are you sure its not old food?

stanley.tortoise

Scotland
Maybe it was a snail or some type of shell that was in the substrate from the start. You just never saw it before Bc it was buried.
wha type of substrate do you use?
Maybe it was a snail or some type of shell that was in the substrate from the start. You just never saw it before Bc it was buried.
wha type of substrate do you use?
possibly, I use a dirt substance. I think it could be called tortoise life?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
What did the shell look like? What color? How thick? Was it a piece of shell or did it look complete? Had you just put greens in that something could have been on?

I agree that it was probably in the substrate.

stanley.tortoise

Scotland
What did the shell look like? What color? How thick? Was it a piece of shell or did it look complete? Had you just put greens in that something could have been on?

I agree that it was probably in the substrate.
It’s was a grey colour, it’s looks possibly like a bone but it was the shape that worried me as it looked like it had a tail as in I thought it came of the bottoms of my tortoise. Upon checking he was fine other that some red staining. So yes I agree it could be the substrate but that doesn’t explain the staining!

stanley.tortoise

Scotland
what type of tortoise do you have? at first I was thinking oh if this is a water turtle perhaps they are just shedding...the blood is a bit disconcerting though...are you sure its not old food?
I horsefield tort! Yes I thought the same. My thinking now is it was hard dirt that’s was stuck to him without me noticing but it’s a stretch.