I found my tortoise on its back and now it's no eating at all

Valgreenbros

Location (City and/or State)
North of Mexico
Hello.

As the title, I found my tortoise on its back on Sunday, I leave all the weekend, then when I returned Sunday night I found it on its back, it seems that it poop itself and pee around, I don't know how long it was like that, it eyes where closed, I thought that it was dead but I grab it and it started to move so I flipped over, and it fell sleep right over, I put it in a flat plate with some water so it could rehydrated. The next it sleep all day, then raining came the next day and I put it indoor, it sleep all day again, the next day (Wednesday) it was outdoor and I saw it drink water (it was a relief to me), Thursday came and again it drinks water, but all those day it eat anything. The first and second day I thought it was normal it sleep because it was exhausted for trying to flipped itself, but now it's almost a week and it it's as sleeping mode, and I offered it food (nopal and lettuce) and nothing.

It's a Gopherus berlandieri, like 6 years old, 13 cm from tail to head

I have 3 more tortoise and they're are eating and acting normal an usual, they're active, walking and exploring.

Today I'll go with the veterinary, maybe they can tell me something.

I hope someone from the forum could give some advice or help.

Thanks in advance

ZenHerper

New Jersey
The lungs of a tortoise are at the top of the body. When they flip over, the lungs are crushed by all the other internal organs. This suffocation ordinarily results in death...your pet was very fortunate, but it is very exhausted and experiencing traumatic stress.

Water is more important right now. Buy a children's electrolye solution at the food store (Pedialyte is a popular brand). Mix some 1:6 parts water for soaking and drinking for 2 days.

Do not accept any antibiotic or vitamin injections at the veterinary hospital. Your pet needs to have dehydration and stress corrected. Continue to offer nopal and other favorite foods. When the cardiovascular and renal systems have recovered, appetite will return.

After 2 days of Pedialyte water, take dandelion greens and puree them in a blender. Mix the blended vegetable with soaking and drinking water so that some nutrition passes into the stomach and vent. Soak 3-4 times daily.

Make sure it is staying in warm places, but not in direct sun or high heat.

Prognosis is guarded - continue your careful nursing efforts.

Valgreenbros

North of Mexico
The lungs of a tortoise are at the top of the body. When they flip over, the lungs are crushed by all the other internal organs. This suffocation ordinarily results in death...your pet was very fortunate, but it is very exhausted and experiencing traumatic stress.

Water is more important right now. Buy a children's electrolye solution at the food store (Pedialyte is a popular brand). Mix some 1:6 parts water for soaking and drinking for 2 days.

Do not accept any antibiotic or vitamin injections at the veterinary hospital. Your pet needs to have dehydration and stress corrected. Continue to offer nopal and other favorite foods. When the cardiovascular and renal systems have recovered, appetite will return.

After 2 days of Pedialyte water, take dandelion greens and puree them in a blender. Mix the blended vegetable with soaking and drinking water so that some nutrition passes into the stomach and vent. Soak 3-4 times daily.

Make sure it is staying in warm places, but not in direct sun or high heat.

Prognosis is guarded - continue your careful nursing efforts.
Thanks for the help, I'll maintain my pet hydrated as you advice.

I've just returned from the vet and he did the same recommendation keep soaking the turtle for 14 days, once a day, give pedyalite and water in 1:1 ratio. He injected it a serum solution. He recommended to bring it back on Monday to observation.

Valgreenbros

North of Mexico
Guys, with all that pain of my heart... My tortoise died yesterday... With the the hope that could still alive I went to the vet, he said that due to the dehydration it cause other renal problems, he couldn't do nothing.

Thanks for the advices and good vibes.

I have 3 more tortoise and I will care them, and try not to happen again.

Regards.