I found a tortoise by the roadside! Need help!!

irmak

Location (City and/or State)
Izmir/Turkey
Hello guys,

I find this little creature by the roadside and pick it because I thought it is too small and could get hit by a car or die in another way.
However, I don't have any experience.
Should I release it back to its nature or keep it?

What do you think?
1st picture: our yard, I let her/him to walk and eat 1-2 times a day.
2nd picture: the tortoise.
3rd picture indoor place that I prepared for it.
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-13 at 17.10.37.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-05-13 at 17.10.47.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-05-13 at 17.03.29.jpeg

Nils30

Leiden, Netherlands
It looks like a little Hermann's Tortoise I think. I would contact a local or national Tortoise or animal charity, or something like that, and ask them what to do with Hermann's tortoises around Izmir. Maybe there is a very good place (like a forest or something) where they live in the wild.

Otherwise, go onto instagram, the only Turkish tortoise keeper that I follow is: https://instagram.com/life_of_berke?igshid=1hvc4qi1fmvlo
Maybe you could contact them for help.

irmak

Izmir/Turkey
It looks like a little Hermann's Tortoise I think. I would contact a local or national Tortoise or animal charity, or something like that, and ask them what to do with Hermann's tortoises around Izmir. Maybe there is a very good place (like a forest or something) where they live in the wild.

Otherwise, go onto instagram, the only Turkish tortoise keeper that I follow is: https://instagram.com/life_of_berke?igshid=1hvc4qi1fmvlo
Maybe you could contact them for help.
I don't think that we have a local animal charity works with tortoises, they usually take care of cats and dogs. And probably will tell me that I should let it the place where I found it. but I send a DM to the Instagram account I hope they can help. Thanks!

irmak

Izmir/Turkey
I'd recommend calling your local tortoise or animal service.
I've checked and I only find an animal service that take care of cats and dogs and wild animals if it is urgent. And they also release them to wild after treatment. Once I have called them for a seagull which has a broken wing and they said we are gonna do what we have to do and release it back to nature. So they won't help and I have 2 options. Keeping it or putting it back to place where I found it..

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
It's a greek tortoise. I would put it back into the wild as far away from the road as possible. It's very much able to survive in the wild...cars are a whole another issue.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I've checked and I only find an animal service that take care of cats and dogs and wild animals if it is urgent. And they also release them to wild after treatment. Once I have called them for a seagull which has a broken wing and they said we are gonna do what we have to do and release it back to nature. So they won't help and I have 2 options. Keeping it or putting it back to place where I found it..
The tortoise is adorable. That is a cute little thing!
IF you feel like you can take care of him/her then I would personally keep it. Tortoises need a lot of care and time. And there are 1/2 reasons why you came across him/her. To save her 1, or 2 to be her/his new owner!

Whatever you chose to do, Release back into an appropriate area, or do research on greek tortoises before deciding to keep him so that he can thrive in captivity.

Best of luck with your choices!

csheikh

Lahore
If you are ready to keep the tortoise, l would definitely keep it because who knows what will happen in the wild! It looks like an adorable companion. If you want to keep it, the enclosure could be a little bigger, and there should be some substrate mixed with the soil, like coco coir or cypress mulch. A UVB light too if you want to keep it indoors, try to find one from either ZooMed or Flukers. I would also give some powdered calcium on its food 2 times a week to prevent any calcium deficiencies later. You can search up Greek Tortoise Care sheet here and look at HermanniChris's care sheet. It is detailed to the MAX. I think you should keep it, but it is your choice completely! Hope you figure out something to do with this little cutie!

CoderShaper

Gdańsk
Your enclosure seems fine, a bit small but you can always release him into the garden if it's warm enough.
You can release him back into the wild if you feel like you don't have enough time for him. Tortoises are a big investment and will be your companion for the rest of your life, and will probably outlive you. I'm new to tortoises myself so I can't give much advice. Some basic stuff every tortoise needs however are:

- A UVB bulb to replicate the sun (nothing beats the real thing though so when possible make sure to let it soak in the sun outside!
- A basking bulb for him to heat up and relax under.
- Cuttlebone or calcium supplements (optional since many people feed it or don't at all, I personally do though since my one is young, older ones don't need it as much)
- A water bowl, even if he doesn't use it, make sure it's available to him.

Taking care of the tortoise itself isn't difficult though, regular soaks and daily feeding is easy. I'm sure someone else can help you for his diet since I don't know much about diet for greek tortoises but I'm sure someone else here can help you with that.

Edit: make sure to check out csheikh's post here, defuneteky some good advice. (For substrate never use sand though since if he gets some sand on his food and he gets it in his belly it'll be hard for him to poop it out again, dirt however is a much better option since with a bit of water he can poop it out).

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You might want to check the laws in Turkey. Are Greek tortoises native to Turkey? If they are, in many places it's illegal to remove a native species from the wild, or to keep it as a pet.

If Greeks are not native to Turkey, then it's probably someone's lost pet, and you should make an effort to get him back to his owner.

If the law isn't being broken, and you are unable to find an owner, then you could keep/release him. If he's native, release him. He'll do fine. If he is not native, then keep him. He may not tolerate the climate.

I hope this helps with your decision making. But if you keep him, you need to understand his requirements. Torts are more expensive and need more care than most people expect. Are there any exotics vets in your area if he needs a vet? Something to consider...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you decide to keep it, here is the correct care info:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you are ready to keep the tortoise, l would definitely keep it because who knows what will happen in the wild! It looks like an adorable companion. If you want to keep it, the enclosure could be a little bigger, and there should be some substrate mixed with the soil, like coco coir or cypress mulch. A UVB light too if you want to keep it indoors, try to find one from either ZooMed or Flukers. I would also give some powdered calcium on its food 2 times a week to prevent any calcium deficiencies later. You can search up Greek Tortoise Care sheet here and look at HermanniChris's care sheet. It is detailed to the MAX. I think you should keep it, but it is your choice completely! Hope you figure out something to do with this little cutie!
Tortoises found in the wild that are native should always be left in the wild or put back in the wild. Not good to recommend keeping a wild tortoise. Besides in most places its illegal to take from the wild.

irmak

Izmir/Turkey
Hello guys thank you for your all helpful comments. After careful consideration I have decided to let it go. I found out that it is a Greek tortoise and a local species to Turkey and Greece I guess. I think it is not fair to capture a wild animal. Tomorrow morning we will leave the little guy to proper place near to where we found him :)

csheikh

Lahore
Hello guys thank you for your all helpful comments. After careful consideration I have decided to let it go. I found out that it is a Greek tortoise and a local species to Turkey and Greece I guess. I think it is not fair to capture a wild animal. Tomorrow morning we will leave the little guy to proper place near to where we found him :)
That's a good decision, l didn't know they were native to Turkey!

healingTortz

Oklahoma
I don't think that we have a local animal charity works with tortoises, they usually take care of cats and dogs. And probably will tell me that I should let it the place where I found it. but I send a DM to the Instagram account I hope they can help. Thanks!
Just keep him, tortoises are pretty easy to care for. And honestly he looks like he may be a lost or abandoned pet

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just keep him, tortoises are pretty easy to care for. And honestly he looks like he may be a lost or abandoned pet
It's probably against the law to remove native tortoises from the wild, and here on the Forum we don't encourage doing something illegal.