I Finally Own A South African Leopard Tortoise!

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PA
I am a proud new owner of a South African leopard tortoise. Always wanted one and finally decided it was time. He was a present to myself for my birthday. This little tortoise is incredible and pictures do not do them justice. It might be hard to believe but from looking at the photos and then seeing them in person they are even more stunning. I received a healthy and active little baby from Tom who I can’t thank enough. He walks around and eats non stop. For being so tiny he is absolutely fearless. You can pick him up or rub his head ever so slightly and he has not once gone in his shell. He even took cactus from my hand while soaking. I received him Wednesday and it’s been a joy the last few days taking care and just watching him. If anyone has been thinking about getting this species of tortoise do not hesitate if you can provide and accommodate their needs. Here are some pictures of him.
IMG_1527960815.576800.jpg
IMG_1527960840.669858.jpg
IMG_1527960864.633765.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some people have the mindset that people breed tortoises for money. Maybe there are some that do, but I haven't met them. I breed tortoises so that I can hear things like what Tortoisefanatic88 is saying in this thread.

That happiness that TortoiseFanatic88 is expressing… I know that happiness. I live for it. Sharing that sense of joy and wonderment with others, and seeing them experience the same feeling of happiness and wonder that I felt when I raised the parents of this baby is my primary motivation for breeding tortoises. Now I have the joy of taking care of my adults daily, and I also get to experience the joys of their babies when they hatch. This is why I do it everyday. This is why I put in all that extra hard work to raise the babies to be fearless, eat anything, and be super hydrated and healthy. Threads like this are my reward.

Thank you @Tortoisefanatic88 for giving one of my babies a great home.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Some people have the mindset that people breed tortoises for money. Maybe there are some that do, but I haven't met them. I breed tortoises so that I can hear things like what Tortoisefanatic88 is saying in this thread.

That happiness that TortoiseFanatic88 is expressing… I know that happiness. I live for it. Sharing that sense of joy and wonderment with others, and seeing them experience the same feeling of happiness and wonder that I felt when I raised the parents of this baby is my primary motivation for breeding tortoises. Now I have the joy of taking care of my adults daily, and I also get to experience the joys of their babies when they hatch. This is why I do it everyday. This is why I put in all that extra hard work to raise the babies to be fearless, eat anything, and be super hydrated and healthy. Threads like this are my reward.

Really nice work by @Tom in keeping his herds of torts, in tort husbandry, for breeding and shipping off such perfect torts, for his daily contributions to this Forum. Thank you Sir, our Sully thanks you too...but he’s a bit occupied now roaming and chowing down on misc grass, plantain, banana leaves, hibiscus and Rose of Sharon... nice work. Keep it up.

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA

Thank you Tom again for the baby and for all that you do on this forum for us [emoji217]

BevSmith

Oh how exciting!!! Congratulations! Your little guy is beautiful! Leopards are one of my very favorite species. We got our first one in February (?) and I plan to have many more! They are just full of personality!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA

Tom, I so agree with you.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Awe. Small little guy. He going to grow quick eating like that! These south african leopards truely are amazing animals.

Kyle

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I can’t take it. Mine is constantly walking in circles like he’s on a mission. What do they think they’re doing? Haha :D

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
He is so tiny and cute congrats!!
Thank you. He is very tiny :tort:

So cute and beautiful colors! I’ve had my leopard tortoise for a month now and I couldn’t be happier! Congratulations on your new baby, you made a good choice!
Thank you. It's only been a few days but I'm ecstatic:)

Wow, he really does look fantastic. That last picture his eyes are so big and bright and looks so alert. Congrats on your new tort.
Thank you. He is very alert and active all day.

Oh how exciting!!! Congratulations! Your little guy is beautiful! Leopards are one of my very favorite species. We got our first one in February (?) and I plan to have many more! They are just full of personality!
Thank you. Sulcatas and Leopards are my favorite species. I am very thankful that I am privileged to own both of these amazing tortoises :tort:

Eautiful little guy. Congrats. He's from one of the best!
Thank you. He is very beautiful and Tom I can't thank enough:)

Awe. Small little guy. He going to grow quick eating like that! These south african leopards truely are amazing animals.
Kyle
They truly are. I was blown away when I seen him in person vs pictures.

I can’t take it. Mine is constantly walking in circles like he’s on a mission. What do they think they’re doing? Haha :D
I don't know :D Mine will walk to his bowl and eat, walk around, and then go nap for 20-30 minutes. He will then wake up and start this process over and over again.

Chuck C

Canton, Ohio
Really nice work by @Tom in keeping his herds of torts, in tort husbandry, for breeding and shipping off such perfect torts, for his daily contributions to this Forum. Thank you Sir, our Sully thanks you too...but he’s a bit occupied now roaming and chowing down on misc grass, plantain, banana leaves, hibiscus and Rose of Sharon... nice work. Keep it up.
Hello there.
Questions on the diet you shared. I have owned a Sulcata for about 7 years now, and some of the food items I didn't know they could eat. I would like to expand his menu. I live in Ohio and have many Rose of Sharon. I didn't know those were safe. I have always been cautious. I would appreciate and info you have on food options.
Thank you .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California