I finally got a tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. Though I've been a member for a few months, I got my first tortoise on Sunday from Deer Fern Farms at a reptile expo. It is a Hermann's tortoise that is around 5 inches long. He/she was comfortable enough to eat on the first day home, and he/she even walks around and explores the enclosure a bit!

The guy said it is a female, but I am not so sure, since "she" has a pretty long tail that is held to one side. I will get pictures later, but I don't want to scare her(?) just yet.

http://imgur.com/HhUnw
http://imgur.com/wF3gI

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
She seems to be pretty comfortable now (the sound of the vacuum cleaner scared her earlier), so I took some pictures of her tail end to see if anyone here can tell if it really is a she (I have my doubts). Also, she flipped over twice today from trying to climb the sides of the plastic bin she lives in. D:

nfFIc.jpg

VJXnI.jpg

shellysmom

5 Year Member
I have trouble with tail length, but in the top photo, the plastron seems slightly concave, so I'm guessing MALE.

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
Her(??) plastron is VERY slightly concave in the very middle.
I could get some more pictures, what angle would be most helpful?

wellington

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks like enclosure is kinda clear. Cover the sides, her height so she can't see out and she may stop climbing and flipping. She is a very cute tort.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Congrats I'm still waiting for my yellow foot to be ready but I am very jealous

About the sex debate at the tail its a "V" shape(male) not a "U"(female) I believe that is a deciding factor and if your looking to get a pic to show if its concaved try going tale to had and place a ruler or something straigh to see how "flat" it is or isn't

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
The bin is made of opaque blue plastic and is much taller than she(?) is long.
She/he appears to be sleeping/basking while using the as-of-yet unchewed cuttlebone as a pillow, though, so I don't want to wake him/her up to take more pictures.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
I took some more pictures. Sorry they're so blurry, she/he was flailing around a bit.

Notice the tiny little dip in the middle of the plastron.
epikX.jpg

Tail held to the left side.
QNh0M.jpg

CactusVinnie

5 Year Member
Bucharest, Romania z6
I think it's a male. Nice tail LOL. And Hermanni don't have that rounded concavity as in Graeca complex, fitting the female's back part of carapace- they have a more angular depression, like the left and right portions of the plastron slightly inclined, resulting a very long, but very small angle depression; somehow like an opened book.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
You have a male, and a very nice looking one...the fact that he's eating already is good sign, as is his boldness in exploring.

I predict a long friendship! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
TortoiseSupply.com