I fell in love

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpollard1984

5 Year Member
ok so ive been turtle sitting the last few months, and now im in love with tortoises i wanted to get my own but really dont want a 80+ yr commitment that comes with a sulcotta (thats what ive been watching). I was wondering if theres another breed that basically doesnt live as long. I work for the gov't so im on my way up and space will come with time (as the turt. grows ill be in better and bigger places) so im not worried about that and i know now what it takes to keep them healthy considering i've spent over 150 bucks on stuff for the turt im watching just so it would be healthy. so im looking for recomendations on a good breed or turt that could be my new little buddy. And if i pick one up soon could i put it in the same tank as the sulcata, hes only 6 months old at the most

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
NO!! You can't put another kind of tortoise in with the sulcata! Different tortoises that come from other continents have pathogens that might make each other ill or even dead.

Most all tortoises have a very long life span. People have to make arrangements in their will for them to be taken care of. Or if you're real lucky, your kids and their kids have a fondness for tortoises too, and they just get handed down from parent to kid, etc.

Yvonne

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Welcome to the forum... I'm sure the people here will help you figue out what would suite best :D

rpollard1984

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
NO!! You can't put another kind of tortoise in with the sulcata! Different tortoises that come from other continents have pathogens that might make each other ill or even dead.

Most all tortoises have a very long life span. People have to make arrangements in their will for them to be taken care of. Or if you're real lucky, your kids and their kids have a fondness for tortoises too, and they just get handed down from parent to kid, etc.

Yvonne

ok i thought that you couldnt, just wanted to make sure.

My grandma used to have a cali desert tort. that lived for a long time (despite being ran over once), but im 24 and just wanted a tort. that would last but not live past me, I just didn't want to burden any future children, or anyone else. I first fell in love with him but he sadly passed about 10 yrs ago and never thought about getting my own. Are desert tort's stil available? or are they illegal now? and if they are where would i find one? im pretty sure that a desert tort is what i would like to get

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi and welcome to the forum. If you tell us where you are located then we can refer you to a rescue that adopts out desert torts. You would half to have your yard setup for the tort before one of them would adopt a desert tort to you. Yes they are illegal to take from the wild, but they are not illegal if you are gifted one from someone that has one or you adopt one from a rescue. Your first step would be to setup a secure area in your yard with edible plants and grass, then contact the rescue cloest to you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Where are you located? I have some desert tortoise that are looking for homes.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I wouldn't worry so much about the age thing. You are bound to find someone in your life that would love to take care of the tort if something was to happen to you, or you could always put it up for adoption, give it to a tort rescue, etc. Nowadays adoptions of animals through public sources such as online are really popular...I wouldn't let the age thing stop you from getting a tort if that is what you really want and can provide a good home. I agree a rescue tort would be great, as a full grown one may have 20 years or so of life already lived, etc.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi rpollard1984. Welcome to the forum. Don't those little sullys just pull at your heartstirngs. :) But then you remember they can get to 100+ pounds. Most all torts if well taken care of can live 50-100+years. If you are in CA there are Desert torts available for adoption but like most have said we need to know where you live. If you are looking for a smaller tort and a friendly one a Russian is a good choice. They have similar needs of a Desert Tort but are conciderably smaller about the size of a hand. I spent over a year reading up on torts and searching for the right one and ended up getting something totally different. I have Greeks and DTs that I foster. That is another posiblility if you are up for it. some rescues and clubs use foster homes for their torts both large and small. You could have one for a few months to a few years until a home is found. Just something to think about. Also keeping an older tort is a bit easier than a hatchling.

rpollard1984

5 Year Member
I live in El Cajon CA just east of san diego, right now i live with roomates in a suburban house. the back yard might be 20'L x 50'W. Iknow it's not big enough for a full sized tort, but would be great for a young tort., that can grow with me. Thats why I don't want a full sized tort., because i don't think the back yard is big enough for him, at least i dont feel that it would be fair for the tort. I just want to make sure that the enviroment is fitting for size and all.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Hi, I'm in San Diego too!

Check out the San Diego Turtle and Tortoise Society (sdturtle.org). They have tons of turtles and torts for adoption. They can get with you and tell you what type of tort is best suited for you.

Do your research. Tort sitting for a short time is much different than owning a tort.

They are WONDERFUL creatures (I have a sulcata).

Status
Not open for further replies.