I feel gutted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
So I was driving to work yesterday morning when I noticed that a gigantic portion of land had just been cleared out near where I live. This was an area where I and several of my friends have herped many times. It was once great habitat for gopher tortoises, eastern diamondback rattlers, black pine snakes, box turtles and speckled kingsnakes, just to name a few. Now it is gone.

Sheesh, Alabama sucks sometimes. I'm going to be in a funk for a while. I actually cried last night when it hit me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, so sorry to hear this. I'm sure it's another structure going in that's not really needed. More city/states need to learn how to leave green space and recycle the abandoned places.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
It is sad, and you're by no means the only one to feel the sting of losing habitat you love. Both in Florida and Colorado, I've seen beautiful wild areas get turned into parking lots and complexes, and the animals there lose their homes. It happens far too often. With our growing human population, it's hard to prevent this. Nevertheless, sometimes habitat is lost for no good reason. We need more preserves.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Absolutely disgusting....just because we can does not mean we should....I am really sorry to hear this...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It is very unfortunate. Modernized society like all of the united states does this. Have to expand our concrete jungle and nothing is in the way. Best thing I do in scenarios like this is to keep on venturing in other areas where wildlife is still to be found.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To add a bit of a positive note: I just flew home from Chicago last night. Have y'all ever looked out the window from 35,000 feet up and seen just how much of this country is totally pristine untouched wilderness without so much as a dirt road or power pole to be seen? I would say the vast majority of our land is untouched. Sure everything around the major cities is not so great any more but just a few miles outside of Chicago its nothing but green everywhere you look.

So buck up my friend. We all need a place to live, and they gotta put that Costco somewhere so we can all buy our spring mix... There is still plenty of. Room in Alabama for the snakes and turtles. :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: I feel gutted...

Tom said:
To add a bit of a positive note: I just flew home from Chicago last night. Have y'all ever looked out the window from 35,000 feet up and seen just how much of this country is totally pristine untouched wilderness without so much as a dirt road or power pole to be seen? I would say the vast majority of our land is untouched. Sure everything around the major cities is not so great any more but just a few miles outside of Chicago its nothing but green everywhere you look.

So buck up my friend. We all need a place to live, and they gotta put that Costco somewhere so we can all buy our spring mix... There is still plenty of. Room in Alabama for the snakes and turtles. :)

Every time I look out of an airplane window I wonder if the people who say we are over populated ever fly ;)

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Thanks for the encouragement, Tom. It really affected me because it is (or was) one of my most popular spots and have always found such diversity there. One of my fav species in AL is the speckled kingsnake; every time I've herped this area, I find them. And now its gone. I was looking forward to taking my kids to herp there one day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
StudentoftheReptile said:
Thanks for the encouragement, Tom. It really affected me because it is (or was) one of my most popular spots and have always found such diversity there. One of my fav species in AL is the speckled kingsnake; every time I've herped this area, I find them. And now its gone. I was looking forward to taking my kids to herp there one day.

Now, you can look forward to finding that special spot with your kids. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
StudentoftheReptile said:

I understand and THAT part is a real bummer. Some of my childhood haunts just burned up in the Idyllwild fire here. I know how you feel.

Vickie

5 Year Member
I can understand. Breaks my heart every time I see our farmland here in Ohio developed into more stores etc when just a mile down the road is a strip mall or another store empty. All I keep thinking is why?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep, I fill your pain man they are building a freeway though my snake hunting spot . Me and my three boys have been catching snakes and three toed box turtles for years. I have found some of the biggest copper heads out there now we can't go there any more.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.