I expanded my box turtle garden - they love it!

Nedy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wichita, KS
This was taken about a month ago. Now the ferns and hostas are thick. Notice two of the girls in the foreground are enjoying a "spa" day together. Ha! There are 5 boxies in this garden - 2 males and 3 females. The enclosure is approx. 14' x 12'.(I'm going to release one male and one female back into the wild later this summer.) They were in the street by a disc golf course a couple of blocks away. It's sad that this natural wooded area is no longer safe for the boxies. WE (humans) have totally encroached on their natural habitat. I still have little Shelley (the boxie that was hit by a commercial lawnmower last year) and she is doing fabulous!
This garden is just below my deck and I can't tell you how many hours I've spent sipping a cup of coffee and watching these little darlings. They all look up at me and 'beg' for food anytime I'm out there (which is basically every morning!) The 3 originals successfully hibernated in the old area (a 4x6 corner of this enclosure) last winter. I was scared and "died a thousand deaths" until they appeared this spring. It was a record breaking cold spell for this area - but they all made it!

Attachments

• 056.JPG
    056.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 115

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Very nice!!! I love the small pavers by the water dish. They look very happy. :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Absolutely beautiful!!! Nothing nicer than sitting and watching the turtles being happy and getting the sun. You did an amazing job.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Looks very nice. I think they will have a ball in there.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
That's a beautiful set-up. where did you find that fencing? I love it. More pics would be awesome!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Great enclosure! Not sure about you releasing two though... they might die out there after being cared for.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I love it! Lucky little guys and gals you have there. I would not release the two though. Once exposed to captives they could bring some nasties back into the wild with them and expose the wild population to those nasties. Safer to go ahead and keep them nice and safe in the garden and enjoy them with your morning coffee.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be illegal to release turtles in your state. Better check it out before you release them. I'm with the above posters. It is sometimes very hard for a once captive turtle to learn how to make it out in the real world where he has to fend for himself.