I don’t know what to do, please help

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
View attachment 267159 View attachment 267160 View attachment 267159 This is my older Tortoises current situation. It makes me sad to even look at it.

When you soak him in warm water, get an old soft toothbrush and gently brush around each scute. That white bit looks like salt build up, to me. There’s lots of salt in the water in NV and UT. Don’t scrub or try to get out all the white. Just gently brush him every soak. He should enjoy it plus it’s another bonding time for you both.

Jaid10

USA
When you soak him in warm water, get an old soft toothbrush and gently brush around each scute. That white bit looks like salt build up, to me. There’s lots of salt in the water in NV and UT. Don’t scrub or try to get out all the white. Just gently brush him every soak. He should enjoy it plus it’s another bonding time for you both.
Ok, I’ll soak her now. I also believe I have an extra toothbrush I can use

cheers2lizzie

Miami, FL
Can you buy the pellet food on Amazon? If so, create an Amazon WISH LIST and share the name of it with us (maybe use Jaid10 since that's your name here so we easily make the connection). Then we can go to Amazon, look it up and purchase food there. Amazon ships it directly to you without sharing your name/address with us (privacy, especially since you are a minor). I'd be willing to do this to send you some food. I know it doesn't help with the greens and other fresh stuff you need, but hopefully helps you provide for them.
This is a very nice idea. If you could put some of these things in wishlist or registry on Amazon, you could get some items from people able to spare a few bucks. I certainly would. :)

Jaid10

USA
This is a very nice idea. If you could put some of these things in wishlist or registry on Amazon, you could get some items from people able to spare a few bucks. I certainly would. :)
I talked to my mom last night and she said she’d try to set up a wish list for me. The only thing Is that she doesn’t think you can’t set up one without having the person type in the address to send to. Does anyone know how to make it so it doesn’t do that?

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
I talked to my mom last night and she said she’d try to set up a wish list for me. The only thing Is that she doesn’t think you can’t set up one without having the person type in the address to send to. Does anyone know how to make it so it doesn’t do that?
I don't think your full address would be visible to buyers of gifts. It isn't in the UK [emoji4]

Jaid10

USA
I actually am not sure if I can start an Amazon wish list. It shows my last name and my city. My mom is actually going to try putting in a false last name and to start a new account.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I would also suggest scouring Craiglist in the free section- pallets can be broken down for wood to make a wall for an out door enclosure, plant pots for hides, food, water. It is amazing what you can repurpose with stuff thats free. I just suggest running it by the parents before going to pick up

Jaid10

USA
I actually don’t think I can start an Amazon wish list. It shows my last name and my city.
I would also suggest scouring Craiglist in the free section- pallets can be broken down for wood to make a wall for an out door enclosure, plant pots for hides, food, water. It is amazing what you can repurpose with stuff thats free. I just suggest running it by the parents before going to pick up
ok, will do!

Watermarkcindi

Menifee CA
Ok! I will see if my parents will take me to the store to ask
This is an excellent idea! We buy greens so often that they started saving them for us! Huge boxes of scraps that we go through and feed our torts. Too much for us to even use so we throw they abundance onto the golf course for the rabbits. It's a win win for everyone.

Jaid10

USA
This is my baby tort, Stone during his soak. The stubby fingers behind are my two year old brothers. He loooooves my Tortoises! Since my older torts name is Shelly he calls him baby Shelly. He always says things like “wanna pet baby Shelly/Shelly pleeease?! Earlier when I was giving Shelly a bath and was scrubbing her with the tooth brush to get the salt out he kept taking the tooth brush from me and doing it himself. As I am writing this he decided to kiss “baby Shelly”. When I said “no , it’s yucky, he responded “but I wanna kiss him!”image.jpg

cheers2lizzie

Miami, FL
I actually am not sure if I can start an Amazon wish list. It shows my last name and my city. My mom is actually going to try putting in a false last name and to start a new account.

You can absolutely change the name and set the addresses to private on your wishlist. In fact, you can even have the recipient be your torts' names so you know exactly who the package is for. :)

Leesa

You can absolutely change the name and set the addresses to private on your wishlist. In fact, you can even have the recipient be your torts' names so you know exactly who the package is for. :)
Yes, this. My son's teacher has a wish list for her classroom and all I see is her name "Ms. Smith" and "Needed for room 107". When I place an order it gets shipped to her and I don't see anything else about her name or address.

Jaid10

USA
Yes, this. My son's teacher has a wish list for her classroom and all I see is her name "Ms. Smith" and "Needed for room 107". When I place an order it gets shipped to her and I don't see anything else about her name or address.
Ok! How can I do that?

tort0i3s3

Hull
I know this may sound harsh but... what went through your parents head when they bought a 6 year old child a sulcata tortoise (or any pet for that matter) if they knew nothing about it and expected the child to take care of it on their own...

AllieKat1997

5 Year Member
Missouri
I know this may sound harsh but... what went through your parents head when they bought a 6 year old child a sulcata tortoise (or any pet for that matter) if they knew nothing about it and expected the child to take care of it on their own...

I actually think it happens very very often. Most people think that since it’s a small animal (like for example hamsters) can live in a tiny box and get tossed food and be fine. Of course that’s NOT true. They need a lot of space and a wheel and an exercise ball and exercise everyday. Most people don’t do this or know to do this.

My grandma actually brought home four or five red ear slider babies for my cousins and I while on vacation. They were bought in a tiny cup and the man said they didn’t need a lot of room and stayed small. We didn’t know squat about how to care of them. As a result they died young. Now that I know today it disgusts me. It’s really sad and those people who lie about animal care really should be prosecuted. It’s animal cruelty. Of course the person buying is also partly to blame but they trust “authority” figures. You’d naturally think that a breeder or seller would know the proper care for something so you listen to them, same goes for shop employees. *Sigh* This got depressing. Sorry.

Jaid10

USA
I actually think it happens very very often. Most people think that since it’s a small animal (like for example hamsters) can live in a tiny box and get tossed food and be fine. Of course that’s NOT true. They need a lot of space and a wheel and an exercise ball and exercise everyday. Most people don’t do this or know to do this.

My grandma actually brought home four or five red ear slider babies for my cousins and I while on vacation. They were bought in a tiny cup and the man said they didn’t need a lot of room and stayed small. We didn’t know squat about how to care of them. As a result they died young. Now that I know today it disgusts me. It’s really sad and those people who lie about animal care really should be prosecuted. It’s animal cruelty. Of course the person buying is also partly to blame but they trust “authority” figures. You’d naturally think that a breeder or seller would know the proper care for something so you listen to them, same goes for shop employees. *Sigh* This got depressing. Sorry.

yeah, that’s basically it. I think I had stumbled upon one online and they never knew that they needed so much care. Basically the lady at the exotic pet store said that we needed a 20 gallon tank, a small basking light, and that calcium supplement poured on lettuce. That’s it. They never new. Also tort0i3s3 they didn’t just abandon me with a new pet. They would always help me with her. It’s just as I got older they stopped helping me. My parents got me pets because they new I had and have such a strong passion for them, also it’s a great way to teach kids responsibility, they never new that it took much work. I’m not going to let my parents get thrown under the bus for something they had no idea about. The important thing is that I understand now, I’m learning from my mistakes and trying my best to give them the care they need.

Last edited by a moderator:

AllieKat1997

5 Year Member
Missouri
I understand wanting to protect your parents and
I’m so glad you found this forum. Never too early or too late to learn more. Keep your head up, make a list of priorities, hopefully you figured out the amazon wish list, and good luck! A few people said to give up your babies cuz they need more or they need better, well that’s crap. Passion is definitely a part of it, and if you love them as much as I think you do, then you’ll make it work out. Out of the dozens of animals I’ve ever had I only gave up on two - both of which I was allergic too. I’ll admit you bitten off a lot with two sulcata tortoises. I definitely couldn’t even do one! Good luck with everything and don’t be afraid to ask questions!

Manon

Really really don’t want to be that guy, and really really want to believe everything that’s been talked about here and think the support of all the members is so good.... but... just be careful.

As ever, I don’t mean to offend anyone, especially the OP, but I was reading through the post and was just waiting for “if you can just send £100 to this Western Union account...”.

Perhaps it’s that I work in IT Security that makes me cynical. I don’t want to put a dampener on any goodwill that comes from the forum members. But like I say, just be careful.

On the flip side, to the OP, well done for coming to the forum and getting help. It’s the absolute best thing you could have done. I did the same when I first got my tort and am very pleased I did. I really wish you the best, and apologise for be skeptical!
Really really don’t want to be that guy, and really really want to believe everything that’s been talked about here and think the support of all the members is so good.... but... just be careful.

As ever, I don’t mean to offend anyone, especially the OP, but I was reading through the post and was just waiting for “if you can just send £100 to this Western Union account...”.

Perhaps it’s that I work in IT Security that makes me cynical. I don’t want to put a dampener on any goodwill that comes from the forum members. But like I say, just be careful.

On the flip side, to the OP, well done for coming to the forum and getting help. It’s the absolute best thing you could have done. I did the same when I first got my tort and am very pleased I did. I really wish you the best, and apologise for be skeptical!

I’m with you. From the first post, I figured out that there’s NO WAY this is coming from an 11 year old. Behind this sob story is an adult slowly setting up to have a “go fund me” account. Wake up people!