I can't wait to have healthcare reform so I can pay for this woman's medical care:

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
RE: I can't wait to have healthcare reform so I can pay for this woman's medical ca

motero said:
How about some deregulation? Less government, Fewer laws. Let the free market be free. That would solve a lot right there. If It is not in the Constitution I don't want it.
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

chadk

10 Year Member!
RE: I can't wait to have healthcare reform so I can pay for this woman's medical ca

Stephanie Logan said:
I thought we were talking about healthcare.

I believe healthcare should be a right, not a privilege.

America does not have the best healthcare system in the world, but we spend more on it than any other country. There's lots of room for improvement.

The direction we take on healthcare is deeply important to our economic future. You can't talk healthcare and not talk about spending.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/234953?GT1=43002

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aJsSb4qtILhg

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29791927/

http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/06/obama_care_robbing_from_peter.html
President Obama now wants to raise taxes on health insurance benefits in order to pay for health insurance benefits! He truly is robbing Peter to pay Paul. We do need to reform health care coverage. However, this can be done utilizing private health insurance in a much more affordable and sustainable way, without creating increased dependence on the federal government. The health care systems of Switzerland and Holland are interesting option[TL1] s. The Swiss system covers 99% of the population for 11.6% of GDP. Health insurance is private, but the government subsidizes the cost for those who are unable to afford the premiums. Since each citizen has some financial responsibility, there is an incentive to prevent cost escalation. Best of all, the government and hence the taxpayers pay about 25% of health care costs as opposed to over 45% in the U.S. The Dutch system is similar. Insurance companies offer a mandatory basic package with optional upgrades. No health care system is perfect, but Obama Care will be catastrophic and will bankrupt the nation.

Factcheck.org on some of Obama's claims on healthcare:
http://www.factcheck.org/2009/07/obamas-health-care-news-conference/

■Obama promised once again that a health care overhaul “will be paid for.” But congressional budget experts say the bills they’ve seen so far would add hundreds of billions of dollars to the deficit over the next decade.
â– He said the plan "that I put forward" would cover at least 97 percent of all Americans. Actually, the plan he campaigned on would cover far less than that, and only one of the bills now being considered in Congress would do that.
â– He said the "average American family is paying thousands" as part of their premiums to cover uncompensated care for the uninsured, implying that expanded coverage will slash insurance costs. But the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation puts the cost per family figure at $200.
■Obama claimed his budget "reduced federal spending over the next 10 years by $2.2 trillion" compared with where it was headed before. Not true. Even figures from his own budget experts don’t support that. The Congressional Budget Office projects a $2.7 trillion increase, not a $2.2 trillion cut.
■The president said that the United States spends $6,000 more on average than other countries on health care. Actually, U.S. per capita spending is about $2,500 more than the next highest-spending country. Obama’s figure was a White House-calculated per-family estimate.

http://www.factcheck.org/2010/02/health-care-summit-squabbles/

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
You are correct that it's a big problem, a complicated problem and a longterm problem.

It's too bad the Republicans didn't "fix" it while they were in power; then President Obama and the American people wouldn't have to worry about it now.

When Fred was in the Air Force, we had government-run healthcare. We also had government-administered health care. Both were satisfactory, both had flaws. Since we've been out of the military healthcare system, we've had several insurance plans. I liked the Kaiser HMO plan best, and it reminded me a lot of the socialized medicine we had at the various Air Force bases we lived at. We now have United Healthcare, and the costs are going up and up. If one of our kids got cancer, we would hit the lifetime maximum of $1,000,000 pretty quickly at today's costs. Then what would we do? The current healthcare bill will remove these aribitrary lifetime maximums, and that's a good thing.

Our backyard neighbors had an unexpected pregnancy two years ago. Their other kids were 16 and 15 at the time. Christopher was born 3 months premature. Then he had a blot clot issue in his brain; several surgeries later, he made a full recovery. Today he is a darling chubby toddler who will be two in June. His parents lost their insurance when their premiums skyrocketed beyond their ability to pay; the dad works two jobs now and the mom had to go back to work full time. They cannot insure Christopher because of his pre-existing condition, and they have used up all their savings, including their kids' college funds to pay some of the bills for his six months in the hospital. They are being crushed under the weight of his medical bills, and if anything happens to him now, there will be no insurance to cover it. The current healthcare bill will prohibit insurance carriers from excluding people based on pre-existing conditions, and that's a good thing.

You claim that the healthcare bill is too expensive, but then you turn around and claim that American healthcare costs aren't that high. Which is it? And where will that money go that you object to?

I may not be a practicing Catholic any more, but I do remember the responsorial psalm, "Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto me." Trying to provide healthcare to all American citizens is the right thing to do.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Stephanie - I totally agree on helping others. I totally agree the system stinks and needs to be changed. But I also know that responsible spending is essential no matter what approach we take.

To take tax payer money and throw it into the big black hole we call big goverment and expect them to use it in a responsible way and to manage healthcare with it in a responsible and accountable way is a pipe dream. Medicaid\Medicare loses 200 BILLION a year on fraud.

Think about it as if you were giving to a charity organization as many of us do. Do we give to charities that we know are plagued with fraud and high operating expenses with little accoutability for making sure the people we want to help actually see the benefits of the money we send?

When I give my hard earned money to help those in need, I do my homework and make sure I give to a cause that will do more than benefit a bloated instition with a bad reputation for getting the money where it belongs. If you are asking me to pay more in taxes to supposedly help people - forget it. I would rather choose to send the money I get from the job I have been blessed with, to help those in need via organizations with a proven track record. How much I choose. What organizations I choose. When I choose. That is what makes America great and the greatest giving countries in the world. Start 'forcing' people to be 'charitable' by taxing them into a massive hole of corrupted spending, greed, and fraud - watch how enthusiastic they will be about 'giving' to help the poor then...

As for why it wasn't fixed sooner? Bill and hillary (hillary-care?) didn't accomplish much. Bush? Not a lot either. Then again, Dems controlled the purse strings didn't they? Now they control both and they are going for broke to get as much out of the tax payers and bloat the system as much as possible (tripling the deficit in less than a year) - like a kid in a candy store or a tort in a dandlion patch :)

M

Maggie Cummings

I worked all my life, got injured on the job and now can't work and don't have any insurance. What's gonna happen if I get sick/or injured? Medicare just canceled my prescription drug coverage so I can't get the stuff I'm supposed to take for my stomach, so now I can't swallow so I can't eat. It's awful, try being over 60 with no insurance...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee

maggie3fan said:
I worked all my life, got injured on the job and now can't work and don't have any insurance. What's gonna happen if I get sick/or injured? Medicare just canceled my prescription drug coverage so I can't get the stuff I'm supposed to take for my stomach, so now I can't swallow so I can't eat. It's awful, try being over 60 with no insurance...

Me too Maggie! Have you noticed that most of the above are doing exactly what I predicted they would do and say?

The whole idea is caring for the health of those that don't have insurance isn't it? Not about $$$ They don't care? Not willing to share?

Terry K

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Chad, the Republican party controlled both houses of Congress after the midterm elections in 1994...and "controlled the purse strings" till 2006.

Healthcare should not be dependent on charity, and I disagree with you that government programs are automatically wasteful. Greedy people will always find ways to cheat the government out of taxpayer funds...be it tax returns and offshore "corporations", boondoggle defense programs like the F-22, lobbyist-written legislation to subsidize oil companies or pharmaceutical contracts for Medicare prescription drugs, unnecessary "earmarks" completely unrelated to the legislative bills they are tacked onto...there is plenty of fraud, waste and abuse to go around.

Sometimes additional regulations help to reduce the amount of "cheating", and sometimes over-regulation creates expensive and unnecessary bureaucratic layers of process that delay the "good" a program was designed to do. People will always look for ways to cheat without getting caught. We could argue endlessly about how to stop/prevent/punish/disincentivize human beings to be less selfish and greedy, but we'd be tilting at windmills.

I suppose other countries have "fraud, waste and abuse" in their healthcare systems, but without the "profit motive", there isn't nearly as much of it going on. There are many different kinds of healthcare models used in other countries, ranging from all private plans that you choose on an exchange (and the government reiimburses you the premium costs) in Germany, to full-fledged single payer in England (where most people carry supplementary private insurance so they can get "elective" surgeries sooner, etc). In some countries the doctors actually work for the government, while in others the government merely administers the policies. Here in America we have a variety of "systems" too--"socialized medicine" in the military/V.A. where the doctors are actually trained and paid by the taxpayers through the government, exchanges where government employees choose their private plan and the government/taxpayers subsidize the premiums, numerous hybrids like Medicare/Medicaid, where private doctors agree to treat patients and are reimbursed at government-determined rates (though I think there's a board of physicians who help determine those rates as well as approving recommended procedures)...

The point is we are the only industrialized country with a for-profit healthcare system. Profits are earned from denying healthcare, or from stinting on the amount or quality of the care provided. Although I am mostly in favor of the capitalistic business paradigm in this country, I think healthcare needs to be an exception to this principle. I don't think it's right to profit from people's illness, injury or death. As I said before, I believe basic healthcare should be a right, not a privilege. Right now it is a privilege in this country, and only in this country. You will find lots of foreigners who complain about various aspects of their country's health care system, but you won't find many calling on their governments to switch over to the American model.

The reality is that people die, become permanently unhealthy/crippled/injured for lack of basic health care. People go bankrupt when they can't pay massive medical bills. People become impoverished by medical expenses...look at any other first-world country, and you will not find ANY citizens who lack basic healthcare coverage. If there was no profit in pushing paper and processing claims, a lot of billions of dollars could go to actual medical needs instead. AND there would be very little excess $$ hanging around for unscrupulous folks to steal from the taxpayers.

chadk

10 Year Member!

Redfoot NERD said:
maggie3fan said:

Me too Maggie! Have you noticed that most of the above are doing exactly what I predicted they would do and say?

The whole idea is caring for the health of those that don't have insurance isn't it? Not about $$$ They don't care? Not willing to share?

Terry K

You can't have it both ways... What are 'they' not caring about? And what are they not willing to share and with WHO? American's are a generous bunch. But we also know that our gov't is not the best choice for 'sharing' our hard earned money. Do I want to help people? YES!! So let's cut out all these backroom deals. Cut out the lobbyists and unions. Cut out the big insurance and pharmacuedicals. Cut out the pork and the tit for tat. Focus like a lazer beam on reform. Where is the promised transparency?? What are they hiding??

Bottom line is that they just want to 'win'. It has nothing to do with the will or need of the people. It is about a power grab and manipulation.

You can try to say I'm just being selfish and greedy (not a republican - just lean conservative) and that this is all about money and no heart. That couldn't be farther from the truth. I'm very generous and giving and love helping others. This is about the RIGHT plan, not just ANY plan.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
No, I believe that if the Republicans had had a better plan, they would have passed it during their ten years in power. No one wants to take on this monster because the monied special interests do not want to sacrifice billions of dollars in profits.

This plan is pretty centrist, and includes a big tax cut for small businesses. The Republicans have lied themselves blue in the face to convince the American people that the bill includes all kinds of nonsense that it does NOT contain.

I'm too tired to keep this arguing up, but I believe this plan is decent and will benefit millions of Americans without much more than inconveniencing the insurance companies. They will be getting millions of new, subsidized customers, and without the Public Option to compete with their plans, there will be no mechanism to lower costs...yet. It's the best that could be done in the face of obstinate obstructionism, and passing it would be the RIGHT thing to do. Not politically popular, but morally right.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I am neither Right or Left, (not Rep. nor Dem.) but I have been in the thick of this for many, many years. I am not debating anyone's politics either...I don't care. In a make-believe world, it would be wonderful to feed all the people, give health care for everyone....etc. Come to NY and let's go to the inner City. (I only know of NY...no other state) Thousands, and thousands....and more, of people are on Welfare, and have free health care. Many are drug addicts, and many are drug dealers with gold rings and chains, with their live in lovers or partners going around with furs, and diamonds. The drugs addicts go to quack Doctors who give them prescriptions to get pills, which they sell for their drug of choice...heroin, meth...etc. Some pills are over $5. each on the street. There are people here who get letters from dishonest Doctors saying that they and their wives and children have aids, and they get housing for free, get medicine for free, cell phones....EVERYTHING free. It's VERY, VERY hard to find honest doctors. It's VERY easy to get financial aid, with free medical. Every drug addict has it. If I know about this, first hand, in my own state, I am sure it goes on in every other state too. Some people cut their wrists so they can be put in a Psychiatric ward and stay high for months at a time...all free with financial aid. When they get out, they are handed loads of prescriptions, which they cash in and sell the pills. These Doctors know that they are on drugs and they know why they are there. Do they care...NO....why? Because they are getting big bucks from the Government to treat Welfare and Medicaid patients.
I am just one person, but I know many, many others that feel this way because of such corruption going on in the medical world. No matter what changes they make, these people know how to go around it.
The system does not work. Everyone is corrupt. The people who work in the welfare department are corrupt. They people who work in the Medicaid department are corrupt...and every Doctor who deals with welfare and free medical are corrupt, and everyone gets a feed-back. Do I sound bitter....you're damn right I do, and I have my reasons to feel that way. I feel so bad for Maggie and others who really need help. I know people who are in the same predicament, and they only way they can survive is to put everything in someone else's name, go on welfare, and have free medical. Sad....but many people do that too.
I have no answers...I gave up or I would go insane.

Terry K
I mean no disrespect to you Terry...I am a fan...but...If you only knew how ridiculous and naive that sounds ...it's so sad it's almost laughable.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Good points TerryO. I also have to wonder what is so moral about going so far into debt now, so that my kids and grandkids will be stuck with no money left for education, healthcare, social security, and owing trillions and trillions to China and other countries. Should they be forced to sacrifice for our gov'ts inability to control spending and greed for power and special interests?

And on top of that, in my state, we are looking at the biggest tax hikes in state history - possibly adding a state income tax among other things. And this right after the campaign promises of the Dem. governor who said it was not an option to raise taxes in such hard economic times. Now they have a green light to just go for broke (litterally) and gov't has grown in this state like crazy...

chadk

10 Year Member!
What is your gas tax and sales tax rate? Property taxes? Trust me... they make up for it. Now they are just getting greedy!! During the campaign, the Gov'nr was running for re-election and denied any budget issues (claimed a surplus) and risk for tax hikes.

M

Maggie Cummings

I am a white older woman. I am not a practicing drug addict or alcoholic so I don't qualify for food stamps, medical treatment or prescription drug coverage. Believe me I've tried. So it may be easy to get coverage if you are a street person, but if you worked before and own your own home you can't get squat. I have stood in line with filthy homeless people who have invisible friends and watched them get food stamps and a welfare check. I am told just like Jeff Probst on Survivor tells his people..."Go home I have nothing for you". I waited all day watching young healthy looking gangbangers get handed checks for $100 to $300 for help on their electric bills. I watched homeless people get checks to help with their electric bill. What's wrong with this picture??? How can a homeless person get a check to help with his electric bill? Homeless? Electric bill? I was offered a check for $35. I told them to keep it, it was more trouble than it was worth.
I would get more help if I didn't own my own home. So what's gonna happen is one day my son is going to find his dear old Ma dead frozen stiff surrounded by cold tortoises because I could no longer afford to buy food or pay my electric bill. I need to move to Switzerland. Or Canada

chadk

10 Year Member!
What is your electric bill like? Mine jumped up pretty good when I started adding all the heat lamps, heat pads, space heater, etc for my critters.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California

chadk said:
What is your gas tax and sales tax rate? Property taxes? Trust me... they make up for it. Now they are just getting greedy!! During the campaign, the Gov'nr was running for re-election and denied any budget issues (claimed a surplus) and risk for tax hikes.

we have an 18.6 cents tax per gallon of gasoline (on top of the federal tax), we have a 9.75% sales tax, 3% property tax every 6 months, and lots of "Fees" and "surcharges" on our phone bills, electricity bills, DWP bills, and a $450 registration fee for my car, gas is $3.00 per gallon, freeways are congested, schools are a joke, air quality is crap, violence in the streets.... so blah!

chadk said:
What is your electric bill like? Mine jumped up pretty good when I started adding all the heat lamps, heat pads, space heater, etc for my critters.

my Mayor just added additional 2% tax per watt of power used to cover "clean energy"

i get taxes federally, state, and local (city and county).

cant believe i've gotten to the point of bragging of how bad things have been.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Do you have to walk to school up hill both ways in the snow with no shoes?????????

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York

maggie3fan said:
I am a white older woman. I am not a practicing drug addict or alcoholic so I don't qualify for food stamps, medical treatment or prescription drug coverage. Believe me I've tried. So it may be easy to get coverage if you are a street person, but if you worked before and own your own home you can't get squat. I have stood in line with filthy homeless people who have invisible friends and watched them get food stamps and a welfare check. I am told just like Jeff Probst on Survivor tells his people..."Go home I have nothing for you". I waited all day watching young healthy looking gangbangers get handed checks for $100 to $300 for help on their electric bills. I watched homeless people get checks to help with their electric bill. What's wrong with this picture??? How can a homeless person get a check to help with his electric bill? Homeless? Electric bill? I was offered a check for $35. I told them to keep it, it was more trouble than it was worth.
I would get more help if I didn't own my own home. So what's gonna happen is one day my son is going to find his dear old Ma dead frozen stiff surrounded by cold tortoises because I could no longer afford to buy food or pay my electric bill. I need to move to Switzerland. Or Canada

The system does not work...never did, and never will. With this new health plan, it will only get worse for us, but much better for all the dishonest people who are already abusing the health care system.
When the politicians who are pushing this health care stand in line in an emergency room with their kids waiting for help, I will definitely stand in line with them....not until.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Terry, do you really believe that all welfare recipients are corrupt liars and drug addicts?

Do you really think, in our massive federal budget, that the amount of money spent for those who are "unworthy" is so large? I do not believe this is the case, because if it was, some politician would jump on a "clean up corruption" bandwagon and get elected to take all these folks off the rolls...Think about it. Poor people, homeless people and drug addicts don't vote, so there would be nothing to lose and everything to gain to save taxpayers money by fixing such a problem if it existed on a large scale.

I would worry more about the folks who are legitimately needy and do not get help. Should we abolish all welfare and medicaid to prevent a small minority from gaming the system? Would it be better to punish everyone so we could feel good about excluding the few? Would our country be a better place with kids and the elderly starving to death or freezing to death because they can't get help from the government? There are plenty of countries right now where that happens every day, but they are not countries we should want to emulate, in my opinion. India comes to mind.

There is no charity I know of that pays people's medical bills when they are in need. I think it pays to look at the problem with our healthcare system longterm. Will we be a better, stronger, more competitive country by keeping our current system or by changing it? We all pay for the uninsured and underinsured already through higher premiums. Can we continue along this course of healthcare costs and insurance rates rising by 10,20, 30% each year? Will your employer continue to provide coverage for you and your family? Will they be able to afford it? Are you sure you can afford it?

Right now, foreign countries gain a competitive advantage because they don't pay for their employees' healthcare costs, so they can pay them less. That's because every other country provides government-paid healthcare to their citizens. Will the U.S. come out ahead in the long run if we keep things as they are?

Status
Not open for further replies.