I can't find Mazuri tortoise food anywhere

Kim444

5 Year Member
I even looked up Canadian online sites to order it, but no luck. Anybody know of any Canadian distributers or Quebec distributers?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
Did you go to their site Mazuri.com?

Kim444

5 Year Member
Yes, they do not ship to my area :-(
What would be another good brand, like second best to Mazuri??

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They do have a few distributors in Canada. Go to mazuri.com then go to "where to buy" then select "international" then you will choose Canada. It shows 4 distributors in Cananda 2 on the west and 2 on the east.

Here's a snap shot of the website.
image.jpg

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
What they sell now is crap. It may look better on paper...but it's not! I pay a premium to get the old recipe from various members here...

Brad Morris, who sold Tom and I our Sudans, made his own 'cuttlebone' from scratch...en masse. I'm going to do a little research here and try and come up with my own recipe for Mazuri...right down to making it a biscuit that can be rehydrated...the current Mazuri product cannot be hydrated, at all!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Dean: You can't buy the old stuff anymore? My feed store is still selling the old recipe. They get deliveries weekly from the supplier.

AMA904

What they sell now is crap. It may look better on paper...but it's not! I pay a premium to get the old recipe from various members here...

Brad Morris, who sold Tom and I our Sudans, made his own 'cuttlebone' from scratch...en masse. I'm going to do a little research here and try and come up with my own recipe for Mazuri...right down to making it a biscuit that can be rehydrated...the current Mazuri product cannot be hydrated, at all!

They still have the "old" stuff for sale on their website in 25lb bags.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Really? I haven't seen it in SoCal in some time...

Kim444

5 Year Member
the shipping is a lot and I don't need 25lbs. It'll probably go bad before I feed my 3yr old greek all of it. Also, he's never eaten anything but romaine lettuce so I don't want to buy 25lbs to find out he won't eat it.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
the shipping is a lot and I don't need 25lbs. It'll probably go bad before I feed my 3yr old greek all of it. Also, he's never eaten anything but romaine lettuce so I don't want to buy 25lbs to find out he won't eat it.
True, that is a lot for one small tortoise. I do have to say though, especially with a Greek, more broad leaf greens, and grasses. Romain is not the best. Can you get kale, collar, mustard, turnip, plantain, endive or dandelion up there?

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I am in us though.

Also romaine lettuce is awful food source for tortoises. Its basically water. I fed my torts that and it is very hard to get them to not want anything but that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Back to the original question - look in the yellow pages under feed dealers (places that sell horse and cattle feed and hay). Call around and ask if they sell Purina products. If they say 'yes,' then they can order Mazuri for you. Wherever they get their Purina products can also ship Mazuri to them. The correct term for what you want is "Mazuri Tortoise Diet."

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

parrotlady

5 Year Member
I will be home by the end of the month and will be putting in a large order, I would be happy to send you some via priority mail if can wait that long. All of my tortoises will eat it. I mix it up with their veggies. I do soak it briefly first. You have to be careful, as the birds also love it.

Kim444

5 Year Member
True, that is a lot for one small tortoise. I do have to say though, especially with a Greek, more broad leaf greens, and grasses. Romain is not the best. Can you get kale, collar, mustard, turnip, plantain, endive or dandelion up there?
I have only had him since Friday and that's all he's eaten all his life. I went to a few stores and they had none of the above mentioned greens. So, I am continuing with the romaine until I find more greens and the tortoise food. I am also having surgery tomorrow and will be in the hospital for a few days, so I cannot continue the search for greens/food at the moment. So a few more days of romaine will have to do for now. It also makes me nervous to change his diet because she lived with a vet tech and she said anything else they gave him made his sick which is why they stuck to romaine. I am going to try anyways, but like I said it makes me nervous. He ate the romaine Saturday and Sunday. Sunday he also ate some cuttlebone, but he hasn't eaten since then. Not sure if the cuttle bone threw him off or what, but it's making me nervous.

Kim444

5 Year Member
I will be home by the end of the month and will be putting in a large order, I would be happy to send you some via priority mail if can wait that long. All of my tortoises will eat it. I mix it up with their veggies. I do soak it briefly first. You have to be careful, as the birds also love it.

Where do you live? I might try and find some on ebay from someone who ships from Canada. I will be in the hospital for the next few days, so searching the net for tortoise food will give me something to do, lol.