I cant believe this add on craigslist!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
First of all, If i find a turtle or anything LIVING I would never sell it! I dont care if its a 4000 dollar dog! If you find it, some one lost it and its not yours to sell!!

THIEF!! Or it you feel thief is to strong then, well what other word works?

Here is the link..
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pet/1497993831.html

and i will copy and paste the add..

turtle (dph)
Date: 2009-12-06, 3:15PM PST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

hello i have a turtle that i found in my back yard he is about 5 to 6 inches long looking to rehome to some one that noes about them so im asking 20 dollars email me for more info

PostingID: 1497993831

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Well, they're not asking for much money.

Maybe they are hoping the owner will respond but don't want to invest the time and effort in putting up "Found" fliers?

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
Not to go off topic, but my wife and I loaned a lot of baby clothes and baby stuff to a neighbor who claimed to be "poor and struggling." A couple of months later, my wife saw that she was trying to sell all of our stuff at her garage sale.

People can be real bums, sometimes.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I'm curious as to how you found the ad?

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Well unless its a native species I really see nothing wrong with the add.
$20.00 is a small fee and perhaps the person is simply trying to recoup the money they may have paid to try and keep the animal healthy until it could be rehomed.
Still my hunch is that it is a native turtle and they are naive to the wildlife around them and assume its someones pet. Could it be an escapee, sure, but the chances of it being the former are more realistic.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I personally think it is wrong to sell an animal you find. I am sure it is not illegal it just feels wrong to me, I also saw this ad on CL and was a little disturbed by it.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Another thought may be that they did put up flyers and got no response, even went door to door but no help. Times are tuff for some right now and a lot of pets are just being dumped. (That is unthinkable to me, but it happens). Perhaps they are trying to recoup some of the $$ they put out for the animal. There is a lot we do not know. Each of us do what we can, and jumping to conclusions should not be one of them. Pets here are considered property. And property can legally be sold. I am not advocating this however; I just don't know their circumstances in this case. So I try not to be too judgmental and point fingers at someone who may be trying to do a good deed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I take in "found" turtles and tortoises all the time. You really can't get upset over the Cragslist ad until you know all the details. Maybe they have been trying to find the turtle's owner without success. And they're probably not turtle people and can't keep it.

Just another thing to think about: Maybe they even called a turtle rescue and were refused because the rescue doesn't take in water turtles during the winter (me), or they aren't taking RES anymore.

We don't know the story, but I agree that if they found the turtle and didn't make any attempts to find its owner but are selling it right away, yes, that's wrong.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
I wouldn't personally sell an animal i found on principle, but $20 is not alot of money. For all you know, the person who found it could be a single parent with no job, or someone struggling their way through college. In this instance, they are jsut getting the money back they paid in food etc. And i dont really see anything wrong with that...

Status
Not open for further replies.