I can finally get an aquatic turtle!!

Kaeloni

Location (City and/or State)
Montana
I know that I need to buy a good filter made for a tank 3x the size of mine. How often should I be cleaning the tank and changing the water? Also, my husband is arguing with me on whether or not our 40 gallon breeder was meant to hold water. I remember buying it from the fish tank isle, not the reptile section. Is there a way for me to know for sure if it was meant to hold water?

Reptilony

QC, CAN
I know that I need to buy a good filter made for a tank 3x the size of mine. How often should I be cleaning the tank and changing the water? Also, my husband is arguing with me on whether or not our 40 gallon breeder was meant to hold water. I remember buying it from the fish tank isle, not the reptile section. Is there a way for me to know for sure if it was meant to hold water?
Fill it full until you get a turt, if it doesn't leak you're good. Also check the thickness of the glass.

Kaeloni

Montana
Fill it full until you get a turt, if it doesn't leak you're good. Also check the thickness of the glass.

I’ll do that. It’s much thicker than my exo terra enclosures. It has some kind of clear stuff (maybe sealant?) along the corners as well.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Pretty turtle! I would call that a false map Graptemy pseudogeograpica pseudogeograpica, though, not a Mississippi map Graptemy pseudogeograpica kohnii .

It can be almost impossible to say these days as so many of the pseudogeographica are simply put together in breeding farms along with ouachitensis and you are never sure if you are getting a pure subspecies example. But your turtle does have the more classic false map turtle markings - the "hockey stick" marking above/behind the eye vs the complete parenthesis all the way down behind the eye. Also the bar through the eye tends to be lacking in G p kohnii and they display striking round pupils. So I would definitely say your turtle is a false map.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Pretty turtle! I would call that a false map Graptemy pseudogeograpica pseudogeograpica, though, not a Mississippi map Graptemy pseudogeograpica kohnii .

It can be almost impossible to say these days as so many of the pseudogeographica are simply put together in breeding farms along with ouachitensis and you are never sure if you are getting a pure subspecies example. But your turtle does have the more classic false map turtle markings - the "hockey stick" marking above/behind the eye vs the complete parenthesis all the way down behind the eye. Also the bar through the eye tends to be lacking in G p kohnii and they display striking round pupils. So I would definitely say your turtle is a false map.
turt.jpeg I think you are right mark. When he was young he fairly looked like a miss. and I bought him has a miss. I remember looking at miss. pictures and tought it looked more like the miss. than false. But now if I compare with this picture, it does look like he's more a false. He does have bars through the eyes, that's something I should have paid more attention, miss. do not have these bars. I see people with ouachita's saying they have miss. and people with miss. saying they have ouachita's all the time, meanwhile, I didn't even paid attention to mine! Even tho they are kinda all right because they are so mixed. Thanks for pointing that out. Hey im gonna have to change my signature lol

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Thank you. I have a hood light and a double dome light. Which would be best?
Depends on what light you are gonna put in there. The heat light must be in a ceramic heat resistent socket. For the uvb, anything that work with the bulb. I don't know how tough is your double dome. Also, uvb tubes are the best so if you use that, you'll need a tube socket. Maybe you can find one that fits in your hood light and create an opening on the hood to put the heat light(or che). I like to use a dimmer to control heat as water level and ambient temp changes.

Kaeloni

Montana
Depends on what light you are gonna put in there. The heat light must be in a ceramic heat resistent socket. For the uvb, anything that work with the bulb. I don't know how tough is your double dome. Also, uvb tubes are the best so if you use that, you'll need a tube socket. Maybe you can find one that fits in your hood light and create an opening on the hood to put the heat light(or che).

Could you maybe catch a flight to Montana and go shopping with me and help me set it up? [emoji23] I feel like I’m in over my head.

Kaeloni

Montana
Oh yeah sure, it's just a 35 hour drive from here. Good thing I got my passport.

It was worth a shot. In my experience Canadian men are extremely friendly. I went on vacation in Arizona a few years ago and managed to pick up an entire team of Canadian hockey players. Friendliest guys ever. It was a blast!

Kaeloni

Montana
I’ve decided on the species I’m getting. I’ve had my heart set on this turtle for a long time and if I’m going to get a turtle I might as well pay the shipping to get the one I really want. I’m getting a baby cagle’s map turtle! Any species specific advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!