I brought donuts!

ZenHerper

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Help yourselves!

Lifelong herp lover; most recent gang of pythons-and-lizard enjoyed for 15-20 years. Now in the process of picking through inventory of supplies to see what can be repurposed for some small Chel' friends in the near future.

Looking very much forward to being once again in the company of the Ever-Smiling Ones!

*sips that popular yummy drink*

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

If you've never kept tortoises before, please understand that the information you find on the 'net is way outdated. Some of our members here on the Forum have been experimenting the past few years and have developed a better understanding of what tortoises need to be healthy and well-kept. We have care sheets posted at the tops of each species of tortoise and you can find them under the different species on our home page.

(Thanks for bringing the do-nuts! Did you also bring the hot chocolate?)

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

If you've never kept tortoises before, please understand that the information you find on the 'net is way outdated. Some of our members here on the Forum have been experimenting the past few years and have developed a better understanding of what tortoises need to be healthy and well-kept. We have care sheets posted at the tops of each species of tortoise and you can find them under the different species on our home page.

(Thanks for bringing the do-nuts! Did you also bring the hot chocolate?)

*passes fresh hot chocolate carafe*

Yeah, the internet is a scary place to look for facts. lol I prefer current textbooks (retired vet tech of 17 years, raised right by her bosses), experienced breeders (who want animals to succeed, even if I don't buy one of theirs), common sense, and my own eyeballs. =DD

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Good luck with the tortoise textbooks-they are very out of date on info.The print date might be current, but the ifo is old and very wrong. Baby torts need heat, humidity, and UVB---and the substrate types-SAND- I am so glad I found TFO and folks like @Tom and @Yvonne G. They started with the old ways and found new better ways that allow tort babies to not just live, but thrive! I wish you luck. I did my research months in advance and got my enclosure up and got plants growing first before I risked getting my Russian. Now I am happy to get the stink eye from not only a Russian, but a Leopard as well when they get soaked!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*takes a maple frosted fried cinnamon roll*

Welcome!

...and thanks for the donut.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Help yourselves!

Lifelong herp lover; most recent gang of pythons-and-lizard enjoyed for 15-20 years. Now in the process of picking through inventory of supplies to see what can be repurposed for some small Chel' friends in the near future.

Looking very much forward to being once again in the company of the Ever-Smiling Ones!

*sips that popular yummy drink*
Hopefully it's not a box full of "heat rocks" and some NEODYMIUM coated light bulbs from 1990.