I believe I have a rare sulcata tortoise someone help?

skrapoy

Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
When they don't grow there is something wrong. There is no "mini sulcata".

If you want our help, we will need more info. Lots of people spend money and think they have "right", only to discover they've read the wrong info and everything is all wrong. The only way for us to know if your set up is right or wrong is for you to tell us.

1. What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?
  2. What heating and lighting equipment are you using to achieve these temperatures?
  3. What size enclosure?
  4. What substrate?
  5. How often do you soak the baby?
  6. What are you feeding the baby?

A few points for you:
  • Sulcatas are the most common tortoise species in the world now. Not rare at all.
  • A steady 80 is much too cool for this species if you don't have a basking area.
  • Most breeders and sellers start this species all wrong. They are not a "desert" species. The chronic dehydration is the reason why they don't grow. Most of the babies that were kept too dry stall their growth at around 50 grams and they seem normal and healthy. Some survive for over a year. Some eventually begin to recover and grow. Most of them die within a few weeks or months. Because so much time passes after they've left the breeder's hands, the new owner is usually blamed for the death.

Lets start with this info and go from there.[/
1. 74 cool 80 warm 100 basking 70 night
2. I use ceramic and lights mixed
3. And I believe around 100 gallon tank
4. The woody chip substrate I forgot the name
5. And I soaked st one point 3 times a day then just started back at like twice or once a day
5 Romain parsley cabbage all kinds of greens I can’t vene think of all the names ima vegan chef so I bring a lot home but I read before I feed
And u misread me I didn’t say sulcata a are rare they aren’t rare at all I said a runt sulcata is rare and they don’t grow I’ve read it from a certified vet I promise u and yes I’ve put into a spec that there may have been a problem with breeding but it’s lived over the time of being a hatchling failure so what now

skrapoy

New Orleans
He also has his own bath that he soaks when he feels he needs to so he may soak more than I do

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your water turtle pic posted, but I'm not seeing answers to my questions yet.

Sulcatafriend

Usa
Would be nice if u look at what u write before posting... and set ur words in the right order
I see ur from new Orleans so English shouldn't be a problem for u

Ur temperatures are way too cold plus dry start = no or almost no growth

Ur vet has probably no idea what hes talking about

Cheers

Washington
Would be nice if u look at what u write before posting... and set ur words in the right order

Cheers
Why so aggressive towards someone searching for answers?

skrapoy

New Orleans

Cheers

Lmfao someone hasn’t done much research cheers! And btw u should be reported for attacking me like that for no reason and then you spat ignorance