I am John, and this is my Russian tortoise. He is between 6 months-3 years old.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi John! Welcome to TFO!

Would you tell us a little bit about your tortoise? So we can get to know you and him better.

What's his name?
6 months to 3 years is a big span...tell us how you figured that out?
How long have you had him, and where did you get him?

You know...just general stuff, if you want to.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Did you get him/her from a pet store? THey usualy sell only wild caught adults do the 4" rule and how easy they are to catch in the wild. Also please add some good plastron (underside) photos including tail so we may help in sexing your new russian. In the meantime go to our Russian section and ensure proper care for adult russian- Basking spot, cool side and plenty of mulch for digging in! Welcome

willee638

HK
That's beautiful, I'm not very familiar with this species of tortoises. Being from Russia does it means they'll hibernate for the entire winter? I heard European species don't grow as big as Tropical or African tortoises, it would make sense to keep them as you live in colder climates unlike myself who raise red foot & sulcate would be more suitable & popular choices.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi John, and welcome to the Forum!

I have a sneaking suspicion that your tortoise is quite a bit older than you think.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome John. Here are some threads with Russian info:

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hello John,

Welcome to TFO! This is a great place to learn about tortoises; I've gotten more useful (and consistent) information from here than from the rest of the internet combined.

I live with a Russian Tortoise named Chili, and although he was unplanned (a last minute rescue) he's just about my favorite of the four torts I live with... so much personality and a great tort-affect.

Jamie

CivilKink

Ohio
Hi John! Welcome to TFO!

Would you tell us a little bit about your tortoise? So we can get to know you and him better.

What's his name?
6 months to 3 years is a big span...tell us how you figured that out?
How long have you had him, and where did you get him?

You know...just general stuff, if you want to.
We were told he was 6 months old, but we know it must be longer. And, we just got him a little over a week ago. His name is Michelangelo, but I like to shorten it to Mikey.

CivilKink

Ohio
Did you get him/her from a pet store? THey usualy sell only wild caught adults do the 4" rule and how easy they are to catch in the wild. Also please add some good plastron (underside) photos including tail so we may help in sexing your new russian. In the meantime go to our Russian section and ensure proper care for adult russian- Basking spot, cool side and plenty of mulch for digging in! Welcome
Here is an underside pic image.jpg

willee638

HK
I would say for a Russian has to be beyond your estimated age of 3 & over years old, but very nice tort.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
We were told he was 6 months old, but we know it must be longer. And, we just got him a little over a week ago. His name is Michelangelo, but I like to shorten it to Mikey.
Well, he certainly is a handsome dude! And I think I would call him Mikey too. Michelangelo is a lot to say!

Did a pet store tell you he was 6 months old? As you can tell from all the other comments, that person didn't know much about him. Sadly, pet store workers usually are not very knowledgeable about tortoises. They often give people bad advice on how to care for their new friend. We want to be sure that Mikey is living in a great enclosure and has everything he needs for the two of you to enjoy a long healthy life together.

Read those threads that Tom linked for you. If you think you need to change something, come to us with your questions, and we'll help you.

willee638

HK
Well, he certainly is a handsome dude! And I think I would call him Mikey too. Michelangelo is a lot to say!

Did a pet store tell you he was 6 months old? As you can tell from all the other comments, that person didn't know much about him. Sadly, pet store workers usually are not very knowledgeable about tortoises. They often give people bad advice on how to care for their new friend. We want to be sure that Mikey is living in a great enclosure and has everything he needs for the two of you to enjoy a long healthy life together.

Read those threads that Tom linked for you. If you think you need to change something, come to us with your questions, and we'll help you.
Yes, pet shop if they're only a sales employee would have close to no knowledge other than what their boss told them to say. These advices they give you are usually what you must buy for your pet tort to best take care of them & you'll end up spending 3 times the amount you intended, when I purchased my tort the employee said bigger ones cost more & told me to buy them pet tortoise pellets.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum.

When you change out your substrate, I would use fine grade orchid bark that you can purchase in bulk at a nursery. The substrate your are using cannot be moistened, as it will mold, whereas you can keep the orchid bark moist, which is better for your tortoise.