I am John, and this is my Russian tortoise. He is between 6 months-3 years old.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Pet stores can be horrible, even some of the ”specialty” stores. I got mine from a big chain that prides itself on being “smart”... Gal said he was a ”baby baby”. I chuckled, rolled my eyes, and just let her write up the sale. She at least was honest and said she knew nothing about reptiles. I chose to go with this guy because she said he’d been there for less than a month and was extremely active. Most store tortoises I’ve seen look borderline dead. This guy was a fighter and had the best physical inspection of any of the animals I’d seen. Also, one of their competitors had a tortoise with a giant scar/crack in the shell! Poor thing.

lymcBoris

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Pet stores can be horrible, even some of the ”specialty” stores. I got mine from a big chain that prides itself on being “smart”... Gal said he was a ”baby baby”. I chuckled, rolled my eyes, and just let her write up the sale. She at least was honest and said she knew nothing about reptiles. I chose to go with this guy because she said he’d been there for less than a month and was extremely active. Most store tortoises I’ve seen look borderline dead. This guy was a fighter and had the best physical inspection of any of the animals I’d seen. Also, one of their competitors had a tortoise with a giant scar/crack in the shell! Poor thing.
If folk didn't buy from pet stores then the demand wouldn't be there. Poor things. I researched and read a lot first, then travelled to a reputable breeder who was listed on tortoise protection org. Not meaning to sound harsh but why go to a pet shop in first place? You're funding these shops keeping "borderline dead tortoises". ? I suppose they are getting rescued and a better life - but only if a knowledgeable person buys them, but the trade continues. Not attacking anyone, just can't understand why buy from pet shops? Please do explain if anyone can. I know everywhere is different. Here in Scotland there's obviously very few pet shops who sell tortoises. I had to travel to England to get my wee guy from private breeder and it was a HUGE decision for all the family. A forever decision.

L

LasTortugasNinja

If folk didn't buy from pet stores then the demand wouldn't be there. Poor things. I researched and read a lot first, then travelled to a reputable breeder who was listed on tortoise protection org. Not meaning to sound harsh but why go to a pet shop in first place? You're funding these shops keeping "borderline dead tortoises". ? I suppose they are getting rescued and a better life - but only if a knowledgeable person buys them, but the trade continues. Not attacking anyone, just can't understand why buy from pet shops? Please do explain if anyone can. I know everywhere is different. Here in Scotland there's obviously very few pet shops who sell tortoises. I had to travel to England to get my wee guy from private breeder and it was a HUGE decision for all the family. A forever decision.
For a lot of people, it’s the only option. No place is perfect. Even websites that brag that all their stock is captive born and they treat their animals like gods have forum threads full of “my animal I ordered arrived sick and on the cusp of death”. There is no “perfect way”. No breeders or rescues in my area, so I made the best choice for me. It’s Russian roulette for sure, but all my reptiles I’ve had have been pet shop rescued (usually once on clearance that stores are desperate to be rid of) and so far my luck has held out. To each their own.