I am being driven to drink...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
I am being driven to drink!

I am not even joking. I have searched and searched and still have no clear answer.

*Breathing*

Okay - we have adopted a wee little Sulcata and are preparing for his/her arrival. She (he?) is 4 weeks old and approx. 2.5" wide. I gathered all material to make a tortoise table but after reading the recommendations on a terrarium (glass aquarium) we have decided to go that route.

I have dragged my husband and children around all over creation and finally found one I think will work (for a while.) It is 36" wide 18"deep 17" tall. I have coco coir for substrate but what is KILLING ME is lighting. I am making a wee little (for now) outdoor area (we live in Texas) so the little one can have sun/grass/fun outside during the day/weather permitting but PERFECTING this inside oasis is just about driving me to drink. (Yes. I am OCD)

Is this what I need? http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/36hot5dobufi1.html Is it too much? Too little? But it doesn't take care of the heat issue, does it? So do I also need this? http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/zoomedposun1.html

I am NOT rich! My husband would kill me, looking at those prices but I want to do this RIGHT. I need links. Someone to tell me "YOU NEED THIS!"

Serious though - for 20 years I have wanted a Sulcata. I want to make sure I have this light/heat thing PERFECT given our set up.

Thank you so much for any help you can give.

Dawn

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 109

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I am not even joking.

I will be the proud owner of a 5 week old (2.5") Sulcata Tuesday. Supplies were purchased to build a tortoise table, until I found out about the preferences with an aquarium/terrarium. I have dragged my husband and children all over creation and finally found something I am happy with. (Photo enclosed.) 3 feet wide. 18" deep. 17" tall and it comes with a screen top.

The heat and lighting for this is driving me insane though.

Is this what I need?

http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/36hot5dobufi1.html

But that doesn't take care of heat. So do I need this as well?

http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/zoomedladedo.html

We live in Texas and plan on having this wee one outside as much as weather permits (inside at night, of course.) I am NOT rich but want to make sure I am doing this right given this type of habitat. If this is NOT right (or something cheaper would work just as wonderfully) does anyone have a direct link on what I should purchase?

I have done hours of research and don't want to throw money away but I also do not want to do the "wrong thing." We plan on having coco coir as bedding (not sure if that matters or not.)

Thanks so much for the help.

Dawn

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 71

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dawn, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm glad to see you take a deep breath and relax! :p

My choice for indoor lighting is the mercury vapor bulb (MVB) because it provides the needed UVB plus heat all in one bulb/fixture. However, the one you show in your link comes from a specialty shop/reptile dealer, and so it costs more. Buy the bulb all by itself, probably cheaper on Amazon.com, then go to a home improvement store and buy the clamp fixture. Be sure to buy one with a ceramic base and a large (10 or 12" bell).

Good for you (giving pats on Dawn's back) for getting your baby also set up outside. tortoises really do much better when they can get natural sunlight.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Hi Dawn! I laughed a little reading your post only because I was exactly where you're at now about 7 months ago. I was about to buy that lighting at that site. Reading about lighting drove me completely bonkers. So, what did I end up doing? I decided to ease up a bit and stopped trying to make my life complicated. I followed the flock, bought reptisun tubes and went over to the hardware store for the hood and extra lights. This saved me tons of money and I knew many people on here use the same stuff so it should be a safe bet. You have a sully coming so your choices will be different (you need more heat than I do). My advice is to try and keep things simple. I'm sure you'll keep changing your setup and improving upon it. I know I still do. Hope this helps!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, however the 160 watt may be a bit hot. I use all 100 watt bulbs. You raise or lower them to get the temperature you want at ground level.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Even cheaper, you can use a regular incandescent house bulb, $2 and a dome from the hardware store, $10 and you have your basking spot.
If your tort will have a few hours access to outside with natural sunlight a week than you don't need artificial UV lighting indoors. $0 :D

What will cost the most is the CHE for night heat and a thermostat to regulate it. $50 total give or take depending on where you purchase it.

I have the same tank as you but converted it into a "closed chamber" type of enclosure. The lights sit on top of the screen and the rest is all covered to keep humidity up. Have you decided how to raise your sully? I like the hot and humid method. Works great for both Sulcata and Leopard tortoises.

Sent from my VS840 4G using TortForum mobile app

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Hi Heather - yes. I will be closing it in but still am trying to figure out the best way to do that. Plexiglass?? Do you happen to have a link for the CHE for night heat and particular thermostat that is best? I swear - the choices really are exhausting.

Thank you so much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If your night time temps in the house are much below 75F degrees, then you'll need a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) and another fixture to put it in. Buy the CHE either at the pet store or on Amazon, then get the fixture at a home improvement store. Again, it will need a ceramic base and a large bell.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I bought a CHE on Amazon. I bought the thermostat made by Hydrofarm.

To seal the top I used clear plastic taped with masking tape. Then I lined the light holes with aluminum foil for safety.

Sent from my VS840 4G using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great advice above. :)

Because my babies get regular sunshine, I just use regular incandescent flood bulbs from the hardware store. I use 65 watt floods and adjust the height to get a basking temp of around 100. I put this bulb on a timer for about 12 hours a day. Then I use a ceramic heating element set on a thermostat set at 80 to maintain ambient temps day and night. Remember you are trying to simulate the African rainy season, and NOT a desert. I recommend you soak your baby in warm shallow water every day for the first few months.

And finally, 20 years?! Sheesh. What were you waiting for? :p

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Thanks Tom! I had this in my cart via Amazon

Zilla 11931 8-1/2-Inch Reflector Dome For Up to 150-Watt Bulbs, Silver - Zilla

$11.24 (2)

Only 4 left in stock (more on the way).

Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping

Exo Terra Solar-Glo High Intensity Self-Ballasted Uv/Heat Mercury Vapor Lamp, 125-Watt - Hagen

$24.59

You save:$29.40 ( 54%)

In Stock

Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 100 Watts - Zoo Med Laboratories

$19.68

You save:$18.78 ( 49%)

In Stock

SO - you think it would be okay to save $25 and forgo the Exo - Terra and just use a regular incandescent flood bulb? Due I need to purchase a humidly gauge? Any suggestions on the best on? What about the best thermometer? Do you get the feeling I am totally OCD? LOL

Yes. I am giving myself a headache. Go big or go home, right?

Thank you so much!

D.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh... You are ready for your next lesson Grasshopper.

Most tortoise supplies can be found at Walmart or hardware stores. A few examples: Terra cotta plant saucers for food and water, dishwashing tubs for soaking or making humid hides, cheap ceramic light fixtures, thermometer/hygrometer units with remote probes, large volume bags of substrate for a few bucks (this will be important in the coming years for you :) ), etc...

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
You are seriously going to make me go to Wal*Mart? *sigh* I hope my BFE one carries this stuff. If not, I am hunting you down.

AND - I have the plant saucer and will be making a nifty hide out of a $1 plastic bin (Yes. Despite how it looks I HAVE been reading your past posts - I was gonna ask for your autograph but I don't want you to get a big head.) ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh WOW!

Dawn, welcome to the family!!! You are going to fit RIGHT in!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
OMG. SOMEONE GETS MY DRY HUMOR! I am seriously excited...lol

Serious though - THANK YOU EVERYONE! You rock!

oknursedana

5 Year Member
Love this whole thread. I just rearranged Tiny's enclosure again. Poor guy never knows where he's going to find his food and water.

Status
Not open for further replies.