shana1502

Location (City and/or State)
London
I got a baby red foot, he’s just almost 5 months old. Few days ago I noticed a pinkish thing on his shell, just under his front legs (thought it was just from strawberries). I’m worried coz all I read online is it could be infection. Been trying to observe him, his appetite is still the same, he eats a lot still. But his stool has gone a bit loose I guess for the past two days (but idk if it was just because we’ve been trying to soak him almost everyday now since i noticed the pink thing). We live in London and he lives indoors. The enclosure situation is bad at the moment, he got a proper table I just think he doesn’t get the proper humidity (we try to mist it as much as possible and he got a humidifier), I’m trying to sort that out. I ordered things for that.

I’ve also noticed that his shell this morning was a bit deformed(?) just near his back leg. We don’t know what to do. We’re first time owners.

572185C1-3FAF-47D0-AEC1-2EEAF8DE07BD.jpeg9B8C5209-41D0-406D-92E8-1BDC87DB33E4.jpeg0950FCA8-1622-4DDA-BB8C-1C4399DD57D0.jpegA319ED18-A911-4802-A729-779E01D0971D.jpeg2669BBEE-74E9-4F2B-883E-2B676E9C63FE.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

We have a care sheet for redfoot, I'll link it for you. You might find something helpful in there.

I see the red spots you're concerned about, but I don't know what they are. Sometimes pink under the plastron indicates sepsis, but this doesn't look like that to me.

Let's ask for help from someone who really knows redfoot.

@ZEROPILOT

shana1502

London
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

We have a care sheet for redfoot, I'll link it for you. You might find something helpful in there.

I see the red spots you're concerned about, but I don't know what they are. Sometimes pink under the plastron indicates sepsis, but this doesn't look like that to me.

Let's ask for help from someone who really knows redfoot.

@ZEROPILOT

Thanks for the kind reply and for the link. I really hope it’s not sepsis. I’m continuously monitoring him for changes.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
He looks fine to me. I think he's much younger than 5 months though. It still has the scar from the yolk sac and it's egg tooth. Probably closer to one month old.

Reactions: Ink

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Either way he looks fine and as long as he's eating you don't need to worry.