I’m new!

haydog03

Location (City and/or State)
West Virginia
I don’t actually have a tortoise yet, but everything is in motion to get one! We’re maybe a few days away, I hope! I just have to settle on which species now. I’m thinking Russian? I’m completely new to tortoises, never had one or really properly touched one. I went from Bearded Dragon, to Leopard Gecko before deciding on a tortoise of some sort. Anywho, I’m very excited to get one! I’ve tried to do all the research I could! That’s why I joined this site, in preparation. :)

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
bearded dragon lifespan between six and 10 years
leopard gecko lifespan 10 to 20 years
tortoise lifespan 50-100 years

Not to be too much of a downer but I think you might want to take a deep breath and figure out exactly what species you want and then do some research on that specific species. Every one of them is different and needs different things and as I pointed out above its not something that will be gone quickly

haydog03

West Virginia
bearded dragon lifespan between six and 10 years
leopard gecko lifespan 10 to 20 years
tortoise lifespan 50-100 years

Not to be too much of a downer but I think you might want to take a deep breath and figure out exactly what species you want and then do some research on that specific species. Every one of them is different and needs different things and as I pointed out above its not something that will be gone quickly
Tortoises are what I think would be best for me. They seem like my best fit, between all the animals I debated on. Also with the species, my humidity is a little high for Russians so I was thinking if my humidity stays high I’d go for a Redfoot! :) I really wanted a Russian, though, but I wouldn’t want to give it she’ll rot or something. I love their long lifespans and would hope I could provide it a luxurious life as apart of my family, I realize from my post it seems like I’ve rushed into this but I’ve been getting setup and narrowing it down to a few species for ages! You’re not being a downer!! I appreciate your response! I’ll be taking the next few days to inspect my enclosure and doing research before deciding anything!! :) :tort: (Also your profile picture is so cute!)

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
You could have a russian in WV with no problem. keep in mind Humidity changes with the seasons. Russians (all torts for that matter will require a ton of space if kept indoors as well. @ 4'x8' for an adult. If you have heart set on a tortoise I would look at the Hermann's. they stay smallish, can hibernate in winter and seem fairly content indoors or out. That's my western hermann's in my profile

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

The russian tortoise is a good beginner tortoise, but bear in mind that they need a lot of space. Yes, it's a small species, but they are hard wired to wander great distances and it would be cruel to set him up in a small indoor enclosure.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I am very fond of Hermanns..? welcome

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don’t actually have a tortoise yet, but everything is in motion to get one! We’re maybe a few days away, I hope! I just have to settle on which species now. I’m thinking Russian? I’m completely new to tortoises, never had one or really properly touched one. I went from Bearded Dragon, to Leopard Gecko before deciding on a tortoise of some sort. Anywho, I’m very excited to get one! I’ve tried to do all the research I could! That’s why I joined this site, in preparation. :)
Hello and welcome. Here is some care info that would apply to a Russian or a hermanni. Redfoot care would be a little different, but somewhat similar in some aspects.

Read this thread and then come back with all your questions.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Welcome to the forum. Is the name "Haydog" a reference to something I'm not aware of maybe? Your like the third or fourth person I think i've seen on here with Haydog in the screen name.

haydog03

West Virginia
Welcome to the forum. Is the name "Haydog" a reference to something I'm not aware of maybe? Your like the third or fourth person I think i've seen on here with Haydog in the screen name.
My name starts with “hay” and my nickname was Hayhay for a while! I’ve always loved dogs and when I was much younger I set up my name on most things as “haydog” so it stuck! Not sure why other people have it! ?

haydog03

West Virginia
Thank you to everyone who replied!! I’ve ordered a bunch more supplies and plan on getting a larger enclosure for my tortoise! I’ve read through thousands of care sheets on the different species! I really like Hermann’s!