I’m new and need help

Anthonycomer

Location (City and/or State)
England
Helllo everybody!

I very recently bought a marginated tortoise who is around 7 months old from a local
Breeder. This is our first pet and we done a fair bit of research before getting him.

we have only had him for 5 days and as you can imagine the kids are constantly checking on him and talking to him but I can’t help but think he is acting abit strange. Non of us have seen him drink and he isn’t loving his food either. We have been bathing him every day and he doesn’t even seem to have a drink in the bath.
Is this normal or is there anything I can do to make sure he’s drinking/eating enough

thanks

Alissa Manning

Give, Denmark
Hi Anthony, I hope I can answer some of your questions. Bathing your baby tortoises every day is ideal to keep them hydrated! They will store that water and take what their bodies need. I didnt start seeing my two marginated drink water from the dish until they were 2 years old. Marinated tortoises do not like humidity and are more acceptable to hot dessert climates.

I was thinking another reason for the strange behavior would be that the little tortoise is feeling over whelemed and stressed out. Keep touching and lifting to a minimum. Let the baby get used to its new home and owners before over stimulating with activities and play. Try not to frighten the tortoise to much. My two tortoises are now 5 years old and love to play and be held. It takes time for them to feel comfortable! I hope I could help! Send me a message if you have any other concerns.

Alissa

Anthonycomer

England
Thanks for that Alissa it’s all new to us and although we think we are doing everything right it was abit of a worry not seeing him drink! Everything you have said will be taken on board so thanks again