Hydroponic tort table

mollydee

Anyone every tried ?

I've been in contact with local hydroponic organic farmer (who gives me treats for the torts) & also has a zookeeper daughter . He thinks we should build a hydroponic system - growing tort friendly plants of course - and drop it into some plywood balanced on saw horses and surround it with plexiglass walls .

Any thoughts ? Concerns ?
I'm certainly intrigued by the idea & might give it a shot .

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
It sounds interesting...be sure to post pictures if you do!

I would do something more secure than sawhorses though.

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
Take care in posting creative ideas or you will get sniped by moderators!

Sounds like something interesting and creative to ponder though. Thanks for THINKING.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I had actually posted a month or so ago asking if anyone had integrated an aquaponics system into their tortoise enclosure... either hydroponics or aquaponics seems like a very interesting venture.

I am still trying to figure out if it is feasible, but I was thinking something similar to this (but the growing area being the tortoise enclosure) might work.. maybe?

indoor-aquaponics-10.jpg

I am unsure if the tortoise waste would cause harm to the fish or vice versa.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It will work . All you would need is a water proof tort table . Be it a fish tank or what not . Put something on the bottom to make room for water and root system . Get you a plastic mesh to hold substrate up out of water . Then pump the fish water up and into tortoise table .

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I don't see how it can be bad, the bacteria in the tank should keep the water balanced for the fish, and eat any waste made. I saw start with cheaper fish see how I works, but I been keeping aquariums and when you have a well established tank then they stay clean pretty much on there own. As long as there is oxygen and cycled

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
As long as you keep the poop out of the tortoise side you should be ok .

mollydee

I'm going to do mine with a whole area around the "hydroponic garden" section .

NeuroNaka

10 Year Member!
Los Angeles, CA
I run an aquaponics system for my leos on my balcony. It works great! You can see how lush the grass grows in my link below. It's also a simple way to add a pond to your enclosure, and since the water is always circulating, it's always fresh. The tortoise waste can muddy up the water a bit, but I haven't had too much of a problem. The fish actually like to eat it! I use a couple of goldfish, a handful of rosy red minnows, and a pleco. You really don't need that many fish. The picture posted above is WAY overstocked.