Hybrid - leopard and sulcata cross

shanu303

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
India
people are trying to breed animals from 2 very different Genus.... it's really sad as they're polluting the gene pool....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure leopard tortoises and sulcata tortoises are in the same genus...geochelone. I hope you hang onto this tortoise long enough for us to follow its progress. I've always wondered what an adult ends up like - size-wise and looks-wise.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
regardless of the different opinions, I think it's a unique looking tortoise.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
There need to be a limit. Lots so call "hybrid" animal are muted from reproduction.

It is a special looking Torts for sure but I'm not fond of cross breeding also. even though they have the same genus.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I don't care what anyone thinks. You are not the one who bred the tortoises. You have a beautiful animal, and I'm very interested in watching it grow. I hope you keep us in the loop.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
i'm not blaming the OP but i am indeed criticising the Breeder, see this is what we humans are flawed at... just because the outcome is aesthetically pleasing to our eyes it does not mean that we play with the power of genetics for which Nature has made rules to keep species different...reproductive isolation(to prevent crossbreeding ) even though they live in same habitat.... i don't intend to start any argument or debate here....

@Yvonne G here is an excerpt from wikipedia....
"The Leopard tortoise (Stigmochelys pardalis) is a large and attractively marked tortoise found in the savannas of eastern and southern Africa, from Sudan to the southern Cape. It is the only member of the genus Stigmochelys, but in the past it was commonly placed in Geochelone instead." i might be wrong here and if then please correct me :) ...i'm still new to the scientific naming stuff...

and @sulley13 i don't blame you for this.....

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Very interesting tortoise, I went to a tortoise show quite a few years back and saw a sulcata/radiated mix. This was before I had any radiated, I wish I would have taken a picture af it

portsmouthtortoises

10 Year Member!
Hampshire, UK
I understand that these are two completely different species of Tortoise and I wouldn't condone mixing them myself, I appreciate that I am not to blame for the production of this Tortoise but none the less, it is still a beautiful, placid Tortoise and requires the that it needs. I will continue to post updates of its well being as I am curious as to how it will grow as well. I don't want to offend anyone but I felt that everyone should be able to follow the progress of this unique animal. If anyone does have any questions about it then I would be more than happy to answer them if I can.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Here is something to ponder......
Perhaps the most enduring debate in reptile systematics has involved the giant Galápagos tortoises (Geochelone nigra), whose origins and systematic relationships captivated Charles Darwin and remain unresolved to this day. Here we report a phylogenetic reconstruction based on mitochondrial DNA sequences from Galápagos tortoises and Geochelone from mainland South America and Africa. The closest living relative to the Galápagos tortoise is not among the larger-bodied tortoises of South America but is the relatively small-bodied Geochelone chilensis, or Chaco tortoise. The split between G. chilensis and the Galápagos lineage probably occurred 6 to 12 million years ago, before the origin of the oldest extant Galápagos island.
http://www.pnas.org/content/96/23/13223.long

Oh yea .....remember these?

And that's a keeper Sulley :) ..................wish I would have held on to mine:rolleyes:

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I'm fond of many of the different hybrids that have been produced. The pardalis/denticulata are particularly attractive.

That's an exceptional animal you have there, regardless of whether or not it is a hybrid or "pure".

Please post updates from time to time with current stats so we can all see how he/she develops over time.