hybrid box turtle?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Beautiful turtle! Now you'll have to read the care sheets and fix his substrate and diet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Doesn't look 'hybrid' to me. Looks like an ornata.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
oh.. my turtle toed is three. some ornate has three toed?View attachment 145167
Yeah, sometimes that happens. Heck, some three-toed boxies have four back toes! So while the amount of toes on the back feet is a relatively good indicator of three-toed species status, it's not a definite be-all-end-all indicator. It's like the whole 'males have red eyes and females have brown' indicator; while usually true, there are some males with brown eyes and some females with reddish eyes. They're not very common, but they do happen.

JJ KIM

Yeah, sometimes that happens. Heck, some three-toed boxies have four back toes! So while the amount of toes on the back feet is a relatively good indicator of three-toed species status, it's not a definite be-all-end-all indicator. It's like the whole 'males have red eyes and females have brown' indicator; while usually true, there are some males with brown eyes and some females with reddish eyes. They're not very common, but they do happen.
thanks alot :) sounds good:)

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
That's not the typical plastron I've seen on ornates, but it also isn't the plastron of an eastern, three toed, golf coast, or desert. Ornate looks to be the closest match though. I could believe an eastern or three toed-ornate hybrid, but I'd defer to Yvonne here.

Last edited:

JJ KIM

t
That's not the typical plastron I've seen on oranates, but it also isn't the plastron of an eastern, three toed, golf coast, or desert. Ornate looks to be the closest match though. I could believe an eastern-ornate hybrid, but I'd defer to Yvonne here.
thank you very much :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I spoke too soon.
You might be right, J J Kim. It looks like a cross between two different types of box turtle, with one of them being an ornata.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Okay so we have the ornate down as a definite. Now to SCIENCE! our way to the knowledge of the other genes....
SCIENCE!