Hurry fast Plant identification

ShadowFox_22311

5 Year Member
I found these plants at a Grocery store and it does not say what type of plant they are can you please tell me what they are and if they are safe and edible?
First plantImageUploadedByTortForum1386994456.891606.jpg

Second plantImageUploadedByTortForum1386994488.387659.jpg

Third plantImageUploadedByTortForum1386994613.029864.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
The first one looks like a variegated Ficus benjamina to me and the second one looks a lot like a Pony-tail Palm. I don't know what the third one is.

ShadowFox_22311

5 Year Member
Moozillion said:
The first one looks like a variegated Ficus benjamina to me and the second one looks a lot like a Pony-tail Palm. I don't know what the third one is.

Thank you so much do you by chance know if the first two are safe to put in my boxies tank?

Ps he loves to take a bite out of everything at least once.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The third one looks to be in the draecena family.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
It is my understanding that the dracena (the third one) IS toxic. I don't know about the other 2- I've seen the second plant in tortoise enclosures and I've grown them myself, but just as a houseplant. Both the ficus and the palm get BIG. And the blades of the palm get tough and sharp- I've been cut by mine before (it's like a paper cut).

There's a really good website called The Tortoise Table that has a great list of common plants and discussion of their uses and safety with turtles and tortoises. If I remember correctly, The Tortoise Library also has a good discussion. I hope this helps.:)

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I was recommended once to put a dracaena plant in my tort's enclosure. I did, but then people started saying they are toxic. But my tortoise has actually eaten the leaves a few times and has had no effects. But I also have a hydroponic dracaena which is toxic. It depends on the species of dracaena.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
If I'm not sure. I will not offer to my Torts.

redbeef

5 Year Member
i thought the second one might be a young dracaena as well...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
redbeef said:
i thought the second one might be a young dracaena as well...

Because of the faint red along the edges, huh? Also, it's too shiny for pony tail palm. If we could see the base of the plant, or a side view. I also might be spider plant.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
It looks like variegated ficus benjamina, dragon tree / dracaena marginata and the third one is a variegated, dracaena deremensis, possibly. NO feeding to tortoises. Only for pretty. Especially houseplants which tend to have fertilizers prior to going to market. For obvious reasons, so they last until sold. Oh, and you got them at the grocery store, so for sure they have systematic fertilizers. Nope. Do not feed. Pretty though! : )