Hurricane season 2020 is here

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hurricane season kicks off today.
I have much better shutters this year than I have had in previous years.
I have my 65 gallons of stabilized hurricane fuel .(I bought it at the start of the COVID-19 outbreak. Thinking it'd become hard to find and it cost me an extra $1 a gallon.)
I also had my privacy fence reinforced with new, extra posts.
I'm in south Florida.
East coast.
What plans have you made so far?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sure why not. There isn't enough going on in this country, ugh.
Be safe and hope this year is skipped.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Well, we had two named storms before the Atlantic hurricane season even began this year. I will be very pleasantly surprised if this ends up being a boring hurricane season.

COmtnLady

Colorado
Not exactly planned, but I went outside 15 minutes ago and a massive tree fell down and destroyed both of my enclosures. All the walls are cracked and the whole thing is gone.

OMG!
Are your Torts ok? What is your back-up plan?

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Hello,
We just changed from barrel tile roof to metal. All the recent rain made it take longer to finish.
It is amusing when the media starts using the phase "hunker down" when a hurricane comes.
On the plus side, DH took down a shed, so now I have a new area for a tortoise enclosure.
Sheldon is a happy guy !

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I finished my generator shed last week. It also has the foil bubble insulation which drops from 98 to 82 decibels! The fence side has gaps for airflow and thanks to my construction unskills it has plenty of gaps for air, but is now covered and out of the weather. I have 14 gallons of ethanol free gas with PRI-G added. I also had finished relining the original rusted tank

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I finished my generator shed last week. It also has the foil bubble insulation which drops from 98 to 82 decibels! The fence side has gaps for airflow and thanks to my construction unskills it has plenty of gaps for air, but is now covered and out of the weather. I have 14 gallons of ethanol free gas with PRI-G added. I also had finished relining the original rusted tank
My tort shed is at the back of my yard...It has electricity...I have always figured if the shed holding my larger tortoises lost power the torts would just have to hunker down...I never thought of a generator for them...hmmm

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
My tort shed is at the back of my yard...It has electricity...I have always figured if the shed holding my larger tortoises lost power the torts would just have to hunker down...I never thought of a generator for them...hmmm
I have mine so that it plugs into a box that feeds a seperate panel that is wired into the main panel. It senses if the power is out and allows generator power to flow to designated circuits. I have basic power systems, A/C, fridge/Freezer and bothe tortoise indoor enclosures. I would love to upgrade the size of the generator for the house and move the old generator to the shed for my outdoor enclosures and pwoering the shed!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have just one tree left and it's a pretty small Trumpet tree.
Past hurricanes have toppled all of my palm trees and the last one was removed by Florida Power and Light because it interfered with a powerline and caught on fire.
Some of those trees will smash your house like a hammer.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have mine so that it plugs into a box that feeds a seperate panel that is wired into the main panel. It senses if the power is out and allows generator power to flow to designated circuits. I have basic power systems, A/C, fridge/Freezer and bothe tortoise indoor enclosures. I would love to upgrade the size of the generator for the house and move the old generator to the shed for my outdoor enclosures and pwoering the shed!
That sounds like way more than I could do. In my old age I've thought a lot about how I should have kept my 3rd ex-husband who had tools and knew how to use them and enjoyed it...but I wasn't into tortoises then...everything I learned about making enclosures and building stuff I learned from my sister...she could make any scrap piece of wood into a freakin hide. But I was never as good as her...

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
That sounds like way more than I could do. In my old age I've thought a lot about how I should have kept my 3rd ex-husband who had tools and knew how to use them and enjoyed it...but I wasn't into tortoises then...everything I learned about making enclosures and building stuff I learned from my sister...she could make any scrap piece of wood into a freakin hide. But I was never as good as her...
I am also a pretty good cook too! I think that helped all those years I was less than perfect as a husband! She is an amazing woman that has graced me with soon to be 24 years and now I truly appreciate what a gal I got!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am also a pretty good cook too! I think that helped all those years I was less than perfect as a husband! She is an amazing woman that has graced me with soon to be 24 years and now I truly appreciate what a gal I got!
My 3rd ex was a darned good cook as well...me...I'm almost as bad as my sisters mother...and that's pretty bad....so now I live on Stouffers....

COmtnLady

Colorado
Thank God I took them inside so nobody got hurt but right now, They are in storage containers with a ho uvb bulb and heat lamps. I do not really have a black-up plan. I guess I have to rebuild the entire thing.

So glad they're ok (cramped, but ok). How about other things n your property? Did most else survive the storm?

Can you still send mulberry leaves if I pay postage?