Hurricane season 2020 is here

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
These are probably 5 or 6 years old and run on three AA batteries. You pull the top of the lantern up, and the LED lights inside turn on when you raise the top. They have a couple rectangular folding handles attached to the top.

My other half just discovered why one of them is not working. It's that pesky "why you're not supposed to store batteries in devices in Florida if you don't use them on a frequent, regular basis" reason. Corrosion.
I have a couple of those lanterns. I go through the same thing here with batteries. I don't let my devices sit with batteries in them. But even keeping batteries around for use when needed can be bad. They just eventually corrode. I guess you can only be so much prepared and hope for the best.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The neighbors cat was mauled by two loose Pit Bull type dogs.
I did end up gifting her the generator and wheel kit.
Those Predator generators from Harbor Freight are pretty impressive for the price.
I got the 4,350 kw
(3,500 running watt) for $329 with a $50 off coupon. The handle/wheel kit ads another $29 and has no coupon I can find seems like a very handy addition.
I didn't take a photo.
But I was impressed for that money.
Hopefully shell spend the money on a vet for her cat.
He doesn't look so good.
The dogs are owned by a police officer that rents a house down the street.
Hopefully he'll step up.
Holy cats..."These Are the Days of Our Lives" lol

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I have a couple of those lanterns. I go through the same thing here with batteries. I don't let my devices sit with batteries in them. But even keeping batteries around for use when needed can be bad. They just eventually corrode. I guess you can only be so much prepared and hope for the best.
Maybe put them in a ziplock bag with a cup of rice. Should do for at least a year

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The alkaline batteries have a long shelf life and aren't supposed to corrode and cause damage to electronics. (Like those crappy 1970s batteries)
But I've seen it happen still.
In fact, they were Harbor Freight Thunderbolt Alkaline batteries in my tote full of hurricane stuff.
They split open and leaked white sulfide

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
When I get new things that take batteries I want AA or AAA. Only thing on a different battery is the feeder in the chicken coop it is one of the kind hunters put out to attract game. It uses the big square old school batteries but last for months
Those big square batteries are my go to for all our hurricane flashlights. Mostly because all the AA & AAA are constantly being taken for TV and gaming remotes, it's perfect that no one wants them.

The only exception was last year I got our Granddaughter a Frozen flashlight. Gives her something to be hurricane ready with..
?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Maybe put them in a ziplock bag with a cup of rice. Should do for at least a year
Thanks I'll try that. I keep them in little plastic totes right now. Adding some rice would be easy. I found out the hard way during a power outage that batteries can be totally sold out citywide. So far I've not had that problem with rechargeables but they have to be charged. Rice might help them also.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Just wanted to share another resource that's publicly available. Keep in mind, all disclaimers apply when it comes to weather modeling.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/

For today's "fun," scroll down that page to Invest 92L.
Correction... No need to bother scrolling now. Invest 92L has been upgraded to Potential Tropical Cyclone NINE. It now gets top billing at the top of the page.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
The lines for gasoline are huge.
But I haven't seen anyone putting up shutters.
It should be a glancing blow from a cat 1 or 2
Be safe dude. It looks like it might take a similar path as Floyd did years ago right up the coast. Should be some great swell, get out your surfboard man.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Isaias looks crazy on the radar this morning. If it continues on track, I’m expecting an uncomfortable day even if it drops back to a TS. Our power grid is awful here, Dorian barely whispered to us on a sunny day last year and we lost power.

May all of your veggies stay unwilted ?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Isaias looks crazy on the radar this morning. If it continues on track, I’m expecting an uncomfortable day even if it drops back to a TS. Our power grid is awful here, Dorian barely whispered to us on a sunny day last year and we lost power.

May all of your veggies stay unwilted ?
Sounds like the grid in my neighborhood. Lots of old, big, and unmaintained trees! I got my generator set up to plug into the house and it runs dedicated cuircuits- much cheaper than the whole house set up.