Hungry Hermann's

Stevie909

Hi all,

Done my 2yr 11mth old Hermann's (Helmut) monthly weigh in on Saturday as we do, and he's packed on a whopping 52g! Usually owners would be happy about their pet putting on weight but this seems far too much. He's now weighing in at 478g, which in itself seems very high for his age.

All in all he seems to be doing great, eating, basking, sleeping, all healthy, last check up at the vets he was spot on. He's certainly been much more active this summer, probably owing to how warm it's been in the UK. He can easily destroy a.bowl of food before I've left for work, we would then top up in the afternoon and once more after his bath and he can scoff the lot. Treats are very occasionally squash or mizuri.

My question really is what is considered a healthy weight gain in Hermann's at this age, if there is one? Again he seems quite content with himself all in all apart from nibbling my toes. In the interim we're cutting him back to 2 feeds a day and he's already not happy, he's been standing in his empty food bowl staring us out since we got home.

Stevie909

Also weight gain over winter is slower, circa 10-14g, only the past few months it's been creeping up. When we picked him up 2yr 5months ago he was a tiny 24g.