Humpy tortoise

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Every time I clean big gavs house out he gets the hump I put fresh hay in there and he won’t go in for about hour after he gets really stressed is there anything I can do to make him happy 071F8F57-E80F-4021-AD3F-C3AF87A75046.jpeg97D1F8D5-4BCE-435C-8C2C-A684D0587581.jpeg97D1F8D5-4BCE-435C-8C2C-A684D0587581.jpeg3A22524C-C306-47D6-8584-5369C50FF929.jpegA2D8279A-0A74-4D8A-ABFD-E8641CD19949.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Every time I clean big gavs house out he gets the hump I put fresh hay in there and he won’t go in for about hour after he gets really stressed is there anything I can do to make him happy View attachment 321272View attachment 321273View attachment 321273View attachment 321274View attachment 321275
I can't make out what you are asking. Punctuation would help.

"He gets the hump". What does that mean?
"You put in fresh hay and he won't go in for an hour". What do you mean he won't go in? Don't you just put him in when you are done?

You need to find a way to keep the hay off the damp substrate.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
I have had experience with tortoises who seem to be irritated by Timothy hay smell I feel orchard grass is usually a pretty good replacement that might help not quite sure what question you were asking

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex

"You put in fresh hay and he won't go in for an hour". What do you mean he won't go in? Don't you just put him in when you are done?

No he goes in and out when he wants to but when I clean him out change dirt and hay he walks around like he’s stressed ? I can’t do punctuation he's indoors to cold for out side I’m in uk he’s got big house

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
I wouldn’t worry about it your tortoise looks extremely healthy with zero pyramiding and great colors whatever you do is working try not to put too much thought into it

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex

No he goes in and out when he wants to but when I clean him out change dirt and hay he walks around like he’s stressed ? I can’t do punctuation he's indoors to cold for out side I’m in uk he’s got big house
I had him since he was born

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
He also make he’s house a mess knock everything over eat all the Prickly pear Cactuses he doesn’t like it tidy ?

Emmawilly

Plymouth

Emmawilly

Plymouth

Having 'the hump' means he's grumpy about something. Reference to camels who have humps and are notoriously grumpy. We use that expression all the time in the UK, didn't realise it was a British thing!

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
He also make he’s house a mess knock everything over eat all the Prickly pear Cactuses he doesn’t like it tidy ?
Is how picture when I first got him
I have had experience with tortoises who seem to be irritated by Timothy hay smell I feel orchard grass is usually a pretty good replacement that might help not quite sure what question you were asking
oh I try that because I use C019AFB2-EAD4-431D-9115-C6B886ABEE40.jpeg
C7CD8ED7-24B0-4C39-8923-E1B09B7953D3.jpeg

Having 'the hump' means he's grumpy about something. Reference to camels who have humps and are notoriously grumpy. We use that expression all the time in the UK, didn't realise it was a British thing!
?

ZenHerper

New Jersey

Hump-y means something quite different in the U.S. ROFL

'Twas hard to picture how hay was setting that off...

Hay can be dusty and will mold. I would use it only sparingly as a small food pile for species that eat grasses.

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
Over hear hump is a small bump or interourse so when you say humpy we thought it was the tortoise and the shoe again. Imagine a frisky male tortoise and lonely shoe ini ts enclosure. Nature is brutal
What ? ?

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
Hump-y means something quite different in the U.S. ROFL

'Twas hard to picture how hay was setting that off...

Hay can be dusty and will mold. I would use it only sparingly as a small food pile for species that eat grasses.
Thanks