Humphrey the sulcata

hoeyej

Location (City and/or State)
Scottsdale, Arizona
I’ve had Humphrey for 7years now. He was the size of a quarter when I got him. In Az we have mostly mild weather in the winter but it can get cold at night. I’ve always brought him in the house at night but he’s getting to be so heavy I’d like to leave him outside. I purchased a heat mat for his house but it seems to me it is too warm. Could it be too warm for him? It’s made for reptiles.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need some sort of reostat or temperature controller that keeps the temperature steady. You set it at the temperature you want, and it goes on and off to maintain that temperature. I use the Zilla digital terrarium temperature controller. Right now Chewy.com has them for $29

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I used a thermostat with a wire probe that I taped to the center of the mat. It worked fine until Opo got to big and kept tearing it up. I was going to use a rehostat this year. Find the right temp with my infrared temp gun and leave it at that setting. @Yvonne G what type of thermostat did you use?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Here’s a popular brand of thermostat too.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I used a thermostat with a wire probe that I taped to the center of the mat. It worked fine until Opo got to big and kept tearing it up. I was going to use a rehostat this year. Find the right temp with my infrared temp gun and leave it at that setting. @Yvonne G what type of thermostat did you use?

Hey Ray, you should have put the probe on the side of Opo’s house, about top of shell high (or so). Placing probe right on the mat, right where Opo crawls, prob not good. ?‍♂️ Try relocating the probe this Winter season.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hey Ray, you should have put the probe on the side of Opo’s house, about top of shell high (or so). Placing probe right on the mat, right where Opo crawls, prob not good. ?‍♂️ Try relocating the probe this Winter season.
Ok I just thought I wouldn't get a true read if it wasn't at the mat. With a RHP above I thought that might mess with the temp. But I guess if I use the infrared temp gun I can zero it in.