Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo's Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
The humidity in my RF's enclosure is usually around 50. I was told I need to get it up. Also I read the pyramiding thread that Madkins007 wrote. I think my tort was already slightly pyramided when we got him, it is not noticable, but I think it's there, because his shell feels bumpy in several places, I might just be paranoid. But I read that humidity is the key to preventing pyramiding, and even if it's not there I want to prevent it/ prevent it from becoming noticeable.

I recently started misting in his enclosure. That helped the first day, but today when I misted, his heating light went POP! because a little of the water got on it, and so we had to replace it. So, that isn't really working...

How do I get it up, should I keep misting only away from the lights, it only helps a little, like getting it up to 55 or 60. I know it needs to be higher. So, what should I do? I keep the lid on the top of the enclosure, it's one of those mesh-like things that are almost always on pet enclosures and aquariums. Do I need to cover half or something so less humidity exscapes?

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just make sure you have the humidity needed for a RF. The leopards and Sulcata's need at least 80%. Some only need 50-60%. I don't know for a RF, but it is not 80% for all torts. Hang on, someone should be on soon that can tell you what the RF humidity should be.

Okay, I did some research. It should be between 70-75%. Here are some ideas. Add plants, place lid on half to 3/4 of enclosure. Use some of the better moisture holding substrates. I would try adding a lot of plants. They will help and you can spray them and the walls around the enclosure. Yes be careful of the lights. That will get very expensive:D hope that helps. Many more will have ideas too.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
If i were raising one i would have it between 60-70.
some people have them around that range even some in the 50's

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you have one of the mesh tops and you run a uvb then you need to remove the mesh from between the light and tortoise...the mesh lids block near 60+% of the uvb rays.....you can use solids top to cover most of the top and or customize the top to cover all except where your lights are....

I generally will add water every other day (pour warm water) right to the substrate directly under the heat side and not to the cool side...this gives them the option of basking and obtaining humidity while still being able to dry off as well as go to the cooler side to regulate...the RFs here move in and out from the damp basking spot to the cool dry side all day....the two babies are venturing out a bit more as well....once they get completely adjusted I will be doing the same...for the babies I have their hide a little closer to the heat source so that they get the advantages of the warmth and humidity since they want to be in their hides a bit more during their acclimation time...

I have a constant humidity of 65-70 and that is simply by pouring the water every other day and the top covered at a little over half....

I also have to mention...yes humidity is a factor in the shell growing correctly...however, it alone is not what makes a smooth shell....

Status
Not open for further replies.