Humidity

tortoise/1

Location (City and/or State)
chesterfield
I have 3 1-2 year old Russian tortoise and in there enclosure it gets very dry I was wondering shall I make a humid hide with swagman moss? Thank you

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, to quickly answer your question, no, don’t add sphagnum moss to your torts enclosure. More often than not, tortoises have a tendency to eat it which can lead to impaction.

Your best bet is to add a lid to your enclosure, but to also add a good amount of water to the substrate.

What kind of substrate are you using?

Try to upload a pix of your enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have 3 1-2 year old Russian tortoise and in there enclosure it gets very dry I was wondering shall I make a humid hide with swagman moss? Thank you
Yes on the humid hide, no on the moss. Also, use the correct substrate and keep it damp.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Yes on the humid hide, no on the moss. Also, use the correct substrate and keep it damp.
Tom, what are some good substrates that are good for this species that you recommend?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, what are some good substrates that are good for this species that you recommend?
I like coco coir for babies, and I switch them to fine grade orchid bark when they are around 3-4 inches. Cypress mulch is okay too, but I don't have that here and don't often use it. There really is nothing else suitable.