Humidity

Swanniejack

Location (City and/or State)
Carmarthen
Sorry for another humidity question, I'm struggling maintaining high humidity for my leopard tortoise, I spray and water regularly but drops soon after, I have got moss in the closed chamber with beech wood chips, my temps are 32 degrees Celsius hot, 30 cool side day and 27 at night, any ideas?

I have also made a background for my Viv with additional moss, is this a fire hazard if too close to basking bulb or will it be ok?

Thanks in advance

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The way to raise humidity is to have an earthy substrate like fine grade orchid bark or coco coir. Take all the decor out, pour in water from a jug and mix it thoroughly with your hands until all of it is evenly damp (not wet) right to the bottom and into the corners.

Spraying can be used to slow the substrate drying out.

You really shouldn’t need moss anywhere except in a humid hide

Swanniejack

Carmarthen
Thanks for the reply, will change my substrate and get it damp like you advised, I have moss in my humid hide but sometimes I find it gets mouldy, is it just a case of changing it regularly or is it too damp? Cheers

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Give this thread a read about how your enclosure should be setup And compare it with what you have. I think it will answer many of your questions

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry for another humidity question, I'm struggling maintaining high humidity for my leopard tortoise, I spray and water regularly but drops soon after, I have got moss in the closed chamber with beech wood chips, my temps are 32 degrees Celsius hot, 30 cool side day and 27 at night, any ideas?

I have also made a background for my Viv with additional moss, is this a fire hazard if too close to basking bulb or will it be ok?

Thanks in advance
Moss does nothing and they will eat it. Its an impaction hazard. Best to remove it.

Beech chips are not a suitable tortoise substrate. Orchid bark is best. Coco coir or cypress mulch can work too.

Swanniejack

Carmarthen
Ok, thanks both for your useful information, I'm new to keeping a tortoise and enjoying the whole thing, I want what's best for him so will take moss out and replace my substrate, always great advice here ??