Humidity

Jodipg82

Location (City and/or State)
Oviedo
Having an issue with humidity over night...when the CHE is on it dries out the fir bark substrate and drops my humidity below 80. Not sure how to maintain that as it is damp and humid to start but then doesn't maintain...
Also any favorite brands of thermo/hygrometer combos? Bonus if its controllable with an app??

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
What is the depth of your substrate? Are you using an open or closed enclosure?

Jodipg82

Oviedo
What is the depth of your substrate? Are you using an open or closed enclosure?
We built a new enclosed enclosure and about 2" of bark. I have a mister but I also have a reptifogger I run for a few minutes to add moisture.
I had the substrate deeper in the last enclosure but it ended up too wet and I had tiny bugs on the bottom!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Something seems off. Can you post pictures of your setup?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We built a new enclosed enclosure and about 2" of bark. I have a mister but I also have a reptifogger I run for a few minutes to add moisture.
I had the substrate deeper in the last enclosure but it ended up too wet and I had tiny bugs on the bottom!
You need at least 3-4 inches of orchid bark. The Bottom layers should be more damp and the top layers less damp.

You shouldn't need misters and humidifiers in a closed chamber. If things are drying out, then you have too much ventilation.

Where is the hygrometer in relation to the heating elements? Those electric heating devices dry out the air near them. Move the hygrometer away from them.

The tiny bugs are either phorid flies or spring tails. Both are harmless detrivores and you can just ignore them. They keep the enclosure cleaner.

jeannettep

Texas
I use the Inkbird automatic humidity controller. It turns on my fogger when it drops below 80% humidity and turns off when not needed. Best addition to my set up.

Jodipg82

Oviedo
You need at least 3-4 inches of orchid bark. The Bottom layers should be more damp and the top layers less damp.

You shouldn't need misters and humidifiers in a closed chamber. If things are drying out, then you have too much ventilation.

Where is the hygrometer in relation to the heating elements? Those electric heating devices dry out the air near them. Move the hygrometer away from them.

The tiny bugs are either phorid flies or spring tails. Both are harmless detrivores and you can just ignore them. They keep the enclosure cleaner.
Hello,

We are going through and sealing any small cracks that we find.
I'm looking for a good hygrometer, thermometer and thermostat recommendation. I love in Florida and its so hot down here that leaving the basking light on (flood light you recommend) just makes it way too hot in there so I need a thermostat to turn off when I'm at work. I can only have it on until about 1030am and then it just gets way too hot. His enclosure is on our patio, covered and screened with Florida glass.
Nights I have the CHE on a timer to come on every 1-2 hours because it will eventually drop below 80 as the night goes on.
I definitely don't have the 3-4" off orchid bark so I will add more.

Attachments

• 20200725_131356.jpg
    20200725_131356.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • 20200725_131405.jpg
    20200725_131405.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30

Jodipg82

Oviedo
Hello,

I'm looking for a good hygrometer, thermometer and thermostat recommendation. I love in Florida and its so hot down here that leaving the basking light on (flood light you recommend) just makes it way too hot in there so I need a thermostat to turn off when I'm at work. I can only have it on until about 1030am and then it just gets way too hot. His enclosure is on our patio, covered and screened with Florida glass.
Nights I have the CHE on a timer to come on every 1-2 hours because it will eventually drop below 80 as the night goes on.
Also the little white dish with soil isn't in there, I'm growing a seed mix for him to graze on but its out in the sun now to sprout.

yaycolin

Huntington Beach, CA
I use the Govee H5071 Hygrometer. It connects to your wifi network so that you are able to view the temps and humidity via an app on your phone while you are away from your home. It is not a thermostat, so no controlling/changing anything while you are gone, but it is a nice tool to be able to view the temps and humidity while you are gone.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,

Your tortoise needs an artificial "sun" to warm up under all day. It should be able to move in and out of the basking area all day to regulate its body temp. If your bulb is getting too hot, then get a lower wattage bulb, or better yet, move the enclosure inside where temps are lower, more stable, and more predictable. We recently had this conversation with two other FL members, and they saw much improvement when the tortoises were moved inside instead of outside on the porch or in the lanai.

Jodipg82

Oviedo
Your tortoise needs an artificial "sun" to warm up under all day. It should be able to move in and out of the basking area all day to regulate its body temp. If your bulb is getting too hot, then get a lower wattage bulb, or better yet, move the enclosure inside where temps are lower, more stable, and more predictable. We recently had this conversation with two other FL members, and they saw much improvement when the tortoises were moved inside instead of outside on the porch or in the lanai.
Do you recommend a thermostat/humidity/temperature controller? Is there such thing as an all in one? I am going to move him into the house to make things easier and have the control.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you recommend a thermostat/humidity/temperature controller? Is there such thing as an all in one? I am going to move him into the house to make things easier and have the control.
I like to run at least two. I get the ones from Lowes, Home Depot or Walmart. Something similar to this, but I usually see the Accu-Rite brand.
thermopro-outdoor-hygrometers-tp-50-c3_max.jpg

jeannettep

Texas
Inkbird makes a temperature & humidity controller. Mine are separate & have worked well for me. I have seen one that is also wifi but I dont have that kind.