Humidity

Tjbemis

5 Year Member
So I keep thinking about Sam's enclosure. My husband built it, its in our dining room (of course, but, so are the salamanders). Our last tortoise, Gus, died of a prolapsed intestine at about 3/4 years. My husband is pretty sure he was chronically dehydrated. We had him in an enclosed reptile lounge, on (if I remember correctly) newspaper. (Please... This was the information we had at the time; hot and dry). If that's what caused the problem, I'm not sure, but we suspect. Obviously, we don't want to make the same mistake. Sam's table is mostly open, plexiglass sides, with chicken wire (cats!) and a small board on top (cats!). Should we try foil over part of the top to keep in more heat and humidity? I'm attaching a pic of the top (with Katniss enjoying the warmth), and I'll try to get a good one of the inside later on. Any and all input is welcome! Thanks!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420588008628.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420588008628.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Closing the top off will work to keep humidity in however the substrate will also play a big part in that as well. Also make sure your temps are warm enough to handle the high humidity.

Tjbemis

5 Year Member
Thank you... That's his concern, too much moisture, he's pretty good she's fine as is. But I need to worry lol.