Humidity wont stay up!

Boneless

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I think the humidity in my tank is falling due to the CHE bulb I have in it. How can I keep the humidity up? I have foil over the top of the tank and the only open spot is where the CHE bulb is. I thought about buying an auto mister like they have for chameleons?

Is it okay if the humidity falls below 80 naturally (lowest it went was 60) and then I spray the tank and raise it back up to 100, or does it have to be over 80 at all times? I ask that because people say the Redfoots thrive in Florida, but where I live the humidity isnt always over 80, either. I just want to avoid Pyramiding in my little Irwin!

The humidity stayed up until I got the CHE yesterday, so I'm pretty sure it's the CHE drying it out.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I think the humidity in my tank is falling due to the CHE bulb I have in it. How can I keep the humidity up? I have foil over the top of the tank and the only open spot is where the CHE bulb is. I thought about buying an auto mister like they have for chameleons?

Is it okay if the humidity falls below 80 naturally (lowest it went was 60) and then I spray the tank and raise it back up to 100, or does it have to be over 80 at all times? I ask that because people say the Redfoots thrive in Florida, but where I live the humidity isnt always over 80, either. I just want to avoid Pyramiding in my little Irwin!

The humidity stayed up until I got the CHE yesterday, so I'm pretty sure it's the CHE drying it out.
Make your substrate a few inches thick. Then don't mist, literally pour about a half gallon of water into one corner. Your humidity should go up and stay up at least a few weeks.

Boneless

Florida
Try pouring water in the substrate, that could help keep the levels up.
Make your substrate a few inches thick. Then don't mist, literally pour about a half gallon of water into one corner. Your humidity should go up and stay up at least a few weeks.

Ty both! I have the substrate pretty thick, I think I didnt pour enough water in there. I just poured some more in and I'll monitor the humidity now :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ty both! I have the substrate pretty thick, I think I didnt pour enough water in there. I just poured some more in and I'll monitor the humidity now :)
Just make sure the top layer of substrate is fairly dry. You don't want your tort constantly sitting on a wet surface.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thanks will do! I'll stop misting it, as that makes the top layer really wet?
No, it's just when you mist it doesn't penetrate the substrate and evaporates off quickly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Misting is not an effective way to manage this problem. The problem is that you are losing your warm humid air through the open top, even though you've helped the situation by covering it with foil. The solution is to use a closed chamber. You'll will be constantly fighting this issue until you make the switch. After you make the switch, your life will be a lot easier, and your tortoise's life will be a lot better.

Boneless

Florida
Misting is not an effective way to manage this problem. The problem is that you are losing your warm humid air through the open top, even though you've helped the situation by covering it with foil. The solution is to use a closed chamber. You'll will be constantly fighting this issue until you make the switch. After you make the switch, your life will be a lot easier, and your tortoise's life will be a lot better.

Do you think saran wrap will work? I'm afraid to build a wood lid as I'm worried the CHE will burn the wood and start a fire. I just want what's best for my baby and everything was fine until I got the CHE bulb lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you think saran wrap will work? I'm afraid to build a wood lid as I'm worried the CHE will burn the wood and start a fire. I just want what's best for my baby and everything was fine until I got the CHE bulb lol
I don't think saran wrap will work any better than the foil, and the plastic would burn and melt too.

Covering an open top doesn't work. Not having an open top because you are using a closed chamber is what works.

Boneless

Florida
I don't think saran wrap will work any better than the foil, and the plastic would burn and melt too.

Covering an open top doesn't work. Not having an open top because you are using a closed chamber is what works.

How do you do the CHE bulb with an enclosed chamber? The temps inside my room get about 70-75 at night even though the room doesnt have AC, just because of the temp outside. I have the CHE bulb set to 85

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How do you do the CHE bulb with an enclosed chamber? The temps inside my room get about 70-75 at night even though the room doesnt have AC, just because of the temp outside. I have the CHE bulb set to 85
You use it like you'd use any other bulb in any other enclosure.

Your thermostat will control the temp and keep it from over heating. In a closed chamber, the CHE will run a lot less.