Humidity suggestions

Rob99

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
I live in Southern California a dessert climate and have a yearling Cherry Head tort and am trying to get my Humidity up during the day but when the lights come on the humidity drops.. I am able to get it up to 70+ at night no problem but during the day it drops to 45-50. For a substrate I added the zoo-med eco earth to hold more water in the substrate moisture and that helped to get it to what it is now. I also have some orchid moss which helps to? So I guess this is a multi point question should the humidity be 60+ all the time or is the evenings sufficient? Second I am planning on an outdoor enclosure and am worried about the humidity at the point too. I am open for suggestions?

Rob99

San Diego
I should also mention that I do spray down the enclosure a lot

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I actually pour a pitcherfull of water over the substrate then mix it up with my hand. In order to keep the warm moist air inside the enclosure, I cover the whole thing, lights and all. Spraying really doesn't cut it because the water evaporates too quickly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in Southern California a dessert climate and have a yearling Cherry Head tort and am trying to get my Humidity up during the day but when the lights come on the humidity drops.. I am able to get it up to 70+ at night no problem but during the day it drops to 45-50. For a substrate I added the zoo-med eco earth to hold more water in the substrate moisture and that helped to get it to what it is now. I also have some orchid moss which helps to? So I guess this is a multi point question should the humidity be 60+ all the time or is the evenings sufficient? Second I am planning on an outdoor enclosure and am worried about the humidity at the point too. I am open for suggestions?
You need a closed chamber. No other way to do it, unless you heat and humidify the entire room.

Rob99

San Diego
Tom do you have any Picts or info on closed enclosures I am un-familiar with them.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Rob - An enclosed chamber is basically a box that is more or less sealed so that heat and humidity are easily maintained inside. Some people make them out of plywood, some make them out of PVC. I have made / used both and they are both fine. Plywood is easier to get and work with.

I don't have the link to Toms build thread handy, but here is one I did about a PVC enclosure:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...-pvc-enclosed-chamber-–-for-beginners.159220/

@Markw84 also posted this recently about a plywood enclosure he made:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/building-double-pane-windows-for-closed-chamber.164080/

Salspi

Chicago
Nice job- is that a plastic tub or did u silicone acrylic together?

MissFreshRR

Southern Cali
I have a cool mist humidifier that i took out of my bedroom (sacrificing my comfort for my sully) i make shifted a hose to the spout and run that into the tank. in addition to spraying it down, the humidifier really does the job. so far the humidity has hung around in the 80-86% range