Humidity levels high

Vansteen1991

Location (City and/or State)
New york
I recently built a new enclosure for my hermanns and tonight is his first night in the enclosure. The humidity on my exo Terra digital is reading 99% with a temp of 68 degrees and on the other side of the enclosure I'm getting a reading of 80% with around the same temp on the gauges. The substrate is eco earth on the bottom with repti bark on the top. The bark was moist from sitting in my garage over night and the eco earth I moistened when I put it in today. Are my humidity levels high because there substrate is new ? I'm afraid of respritory problems.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
High humidity with low heat is a recipe for respiratory infection.

Your Hermanns doesn't need high humidity. You should probably turn on the lights over all the substrate and let it dry out some before nightfall. I like to have it a LITTLE moist underneath with the top layer dry.

Vansteen1991

New york
High humidity with low heat is a recipe for respiratory infection.

Your Hermanns doesn't need high humidity. You should probably turn on the lights over all the substrate and let it dry out some before nightfall. I like to have it a LITTLE moist underneath with the top layer dry.
Thanks for the info. I will try this out ??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I recently built a new enclosure for my hermanns and tonight is his first night in the enclosure. The humidity on my exo Terra digital is reading 99% with a temp of 68 degrees and on the other side of the enclosure I'm getting a reading of 80% with around the same temp on the gauges. The substrate is eco earth on the bottom with repti bark on the top. The bark was moist from sitting in my garage over night and the eco earth I moistened when I put it in today. Are my humidity levels high because there substrate is new ? I'm afraid of respritory problems.
It takes a while to get the humidity right. When you first add all the moisture, you can expect levels to spike a bit. Also, the numbers will rise at night when the lights go off and the air in the enclosure cools. This is normal and okay. What you want to evaluate is where the humidity is after the lights have been on for a few hours. If its too humid in there, you can add some ventilation to let some moisture out., until you get it where you want it.