Humidity Levels for Hermann's

NerdtasticLady

I’ve had my little Hermann’s for roughly 3 weeks. I have a question about the humidity level in his enclosure. He is in a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub and I have foil covering the top (except where his lights are). I use top soil, coconut coir, sphagnum moss and Jungle Earth substrate. The humidity level stays around 40-55% (during the day and overnight). When I read the care sheet it says the humidity levels should be around 70% but I cannot for the life of me get the humidity above 55%. I mist the enclosure 3 times a day, there are live plants in the enclosure, and he has a humid hide but doesn’t use it. I’m afraid of over-misting the enclosure.

I thought about using a sponge but I’m afraid he will try to eat it. I can’t use a whole room humidifier because my hedgehog and rabbits are housed in the same room.

I have a snake that requires extremely high humidity (Brazilian Rainbow Boa) but he is in an enclosed enclosure (Animal Plastics T8). But because the entire front is glass so I would assume an enclosure like that would be inappropriate for a tortoise.

I don’t really have any ideas how to bump his humidity 15%.

Alexio

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, New York
Could you post some pictures of the tub/ enclosure? I have a few theories and ideas depending on what your setup is like.
(on a side note i would love to see pictures of your BRB.)
There are many people who use ap cages for tortoises in the early years. Having only one glass side is not the worst thing for a tortoise. But you could always stack them to save space.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How do you moisten the substrate? You need tip water into it and mix it with your hands to make it evenly damp.

The other part of the equation is the temperature. What temperatures do you have: warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum ?

Photographs of the enclosure will help us to help you.

NerdtasticLady

Could you post some pictures of the tub/ enclosure? I have a few theories and ideas depending on what your setup is like.
(on a side note i would love to see pictures of your BRB.)
There are many people who use ap cages for tortoises in the early years. Having only one glass side is not the worst thing for a tortoise. But you could always stack them to save space.

Sure I will get some pictures of his tub and post them.

Here is my BRB Gimlet
5n6d6s.jpg

30uwrys.jpg

NerdtasticLady

How do you moisten the substrate? You need tip water into it and mix it with your hands to make it evenly damp.

The other part of the equation is the temperature. What temperatures do you have: warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum ?

Photographs of the enclosure will help us to help you.

I water the plants in the enclosure with a watering can. Then I use a spray bottle and dampen the rest of the substrate. I don't mix in the water but I can.

Temps are
Warm side: 90F
Cool side: 80F
Under basking lamp: 95F
Overnight min: 78F

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I suspect the substrate is too dry. Spraying alone is not enough to raise humidity.

Plants tend to grow better in pots sunk into the substrate rather than planted directly in the substrate. You can more easily swap them out when they get eaten or trampled if they're in pots too :)

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Thats a very pretty BRB, it looks very orange and i love how bright he is. Do you know how old he is?

NerdtasticLady

Thats a very pretty BRB, it looks very orange and i love how bright he is. Do you know how old he is?
He is nearly a year old. He is bigger than he looks in the pics. He is super red/orange in person. He was a bit dull as a tiny baby but his colors are getting brighter the older he gets.

NerdtasticLady

Here are pics of his enclosure. There are a few things different now (I forgot I had these pics from 2ish weeks ago).

The MVB and night lamp are now on stands and not sitting on top of the enclosure. There are 3 thermometer/hygrometers now. The rock in the middle has been replaced with a flatter rock that sits flush with the substrate. And the grass and weeds are now grown separately in a container. The spider plants, rubber plant and aloe plant are still in the enclosure.

Missing from the picture is a water dish on the far left side and his other hide as well as cuttlebone.

This is the only time I was able to get the humidity up to 69%.

14mch8g.jpg

The aloe plant, thermometer and small hide are on the cool side in the picture.
35irbk1.jpg

TaylorTortoise

Abington
what type of edible plants are you using in the enclosure? Just curious. I have a Western Hermanns on the way in June!