Humidity, kinixys belliana belliana

Korall

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
So, I've been thinking about this for a while since I have heard many different opinions about this.

What is a good humidity for a bell's hingeback?

This can definitely be argued, though the majority says that around 80% is good though I have heard counter arguments to that since bells hingebacks live in the subtropical parts of Africa, mainly savannahs.
In those parts of Africa, humidity levels rarely reach 80% unless it's the rain season.

So, i don't know if I am wrong with all of that, I'm just looking for an answer regarding my tortoise's health.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I can't speak to hingebacks specifically since it's not a species I keep, but microclimates are key for thinking about what conditions to replicate. The relative humidity at 10 feet (or wherever it is measured) in a region may be 60%, but if the tortoise lives in grasses on the ground, it may be experiencing close to 100% relative humidity. The humidity and temperature of a region - as experienced by humans or weather stations - can be quite different than the humidity and temperature experienced by creatures inhabiting the undergrowth or burrows.

Korall

Sweden
I can't speak to hingebacks specifically since it's not a species I keep, but microclimates are key for thinking about what conditions to replicate. The relative humidity at 10 feet (or wherever it is measured) in a region may be 60%, but if the tortoise lives in grasses on the ground, it may be experiencing close to 100% relative humidity. The humidity and temperature of a region - as experienced by humans or weather stations - can be quite different than the humidity and temperature experienced by creatures inhabiting the undergrowth or burrows.

Yeah, that makes sense.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Belliana originate from arid grasslands, but what Sarahchelonoidis said does apply.