Humidity in wooden enclosure

Burgesj

Location (City and/or State)
Riverview
We have a year and a half sulcata that is housed in a wooden indoor enclosure during the cold months. We have a reptifogger set up to maintain humidity. I've noticed some of the wood is looking slightly discolored. I can't tell if it's just from the wet Cyprus mulch or mold starting to form. Any ideas how I can safely clean the wood that won't be dangerous for my tort?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Once it's molded, there's not much you can do, especially if it's unsealed wood. If you want to rebuild one and use wood, 3+ coats of polyurethane are needed to seal the wood against moisture. This is fairly cleanable since polyurethane is basically a plastic coating, but the best option is to use a plastic-based enclosure like Animal Plastics (or similar) cages.

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
Mine only lasted about 4 months before the water began to penetrate the wood and started to rot everything. Once it starts to rot it’ll begin to smell. I suggest you switch over to grow tent and turn it to its sides.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
you could try coating in a shower curtain or pond liner to keep the structure but protect the walls.

i wipe mold with vinegar...but i dont consider this a permanent solution for a constantly molding wooden enclosure

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wood doesn't hold up well to dampness and humidity. You need to buy or build a plastic enclosure. Expanded PVC.

Humidifiers should not be used with tortoises. Its not good for them to be breathing water vapor. Water vapor is not the same as humidity.

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
Maybe you can sand the whole inside to remove the mold and then coat it with something before putting him back inside ?
I have plastic lining the bottom of mine and goes up about six inches On the sides. I painted the inside and let it cure for about a week before placing my tort inside. I don’t use a fogger though. If you could close it up you would be able to maintain humidity without the fogger with the substrate alone.

Attachments

• 3F5CF6FE-74BA-4B5A-80A8-38ACE7A1FDC9.jpeg
    3F5CF6FE-74BA-4B5A-80A8-38ACE7A1FDC9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34