Humidity - how long to keep in a humid environment?

Sadie525

Location (City and/or State)
Alamosa, CO
I am building an enclosure for a baby leopard tortoise, it's going to be a heated, humidified greenhouse within an unheated sun porch in very dry Southern Colorado. I'd like to make it a fully enclosed space so that I can keep it humid enough and warm enough for both a growing tortoise and a growing collection of (non toxic or out of the way) tropical plants - so it will be big enough to walk through and plenty of floor space to safely keep a small-for-now tortoise friend. Here's my question: how long does this 80% humidity "rule" last? Eventually, bigger leopard tortoises can be in drier conditions, right? I'd like to eventually build the tortoise an outdoor environment where humidity is not controlled, but how big will the tortoise be when s/he can go into a less closely controlled environment?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I do what I can to maintain humidity at higher levels for as long as I can. There is no specific time limit. As they get older and spend more and more time outside, there isn't much we can do about it. I use sprinklers and misters in hot weather when temps are 90+, and I keep the night box humidified with tubs of water on shelves forever. This way at least the sleeping quarters give them some humidity.

Reactions: Ink

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
If you must have a number, I would say about 4” long is the minimum size I would put in an outdoor or open top enclosure, but bigger is better, and my climate is more humid than yours. I also think they do better the longer you keep them in a controlled climate, but ultimately you run out of space.