humidity hide box

Status
Not open for further replies.

HtVic

5 Year Member
Hi
For a few months old star tortoise
what is temperature and humidity level should be inside the humidity hide box between day and night?Smile
I know if its too hot and dry will cause them have big acid uric stone.
I was thinking under basking spot 95-100, cool end with humidity hide box 75-80 with 50-60% of humidity during the day, and at night, basking light off, then keeping 80-85 inside the humidity hide box under red light with 60-60% humidity level.
is this ok?

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-humidity-hide-box#ixzz1pxfTZr8O

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have only had my star youngster for a couple weeks, and it is my first star. I have the temps set about what you are asking about but I don't go to 100 on the basking side, a little lower about 92 max, and at night in the hide about 79 at night and upper 80s during day time.I have it set up so that he has to pass through a water dish to go from one end to the other, which he does many times during the day, he is very active for 12 hours and then he goes to sleep for 12 hours,I don't know if this is normal for stars or not but this is his daily routine. humidity is between 70 and 85 at ground level in the whole enclosure at all times, again don't know if this is right or not, but he seems to be doing alright eating good and wandering around all day,had his first mulberry leaves today and loved them he had 3 helpings, I'm learning as we go along by watching him and his actions, behavior and eating habits.Oh in the center of the enclosure it's about 70, he passes through but does not spend a lot of time there. Len

HtVic

5 Year Member
thanks for the info.
did you put the hide under the basking light or on the cool end but with heat on top as well?
because i was thinking if I put it under the basking light, I have to turn the light off at night, and the temp inside the hide won't be as high as I wanted it to.
but, If I place the hide on the cool side which under the heat light-red bulb, I can just turn off the basking light at night, and turn on the red bulb or adjust the right temp leave it run for 24hr. however, during the day, the basking light temp is around 95, then the cool side will stay 80-85 with the hide box.
the variance between this is only 10F. is this ok for star hatchling tho?

and about your humidity level. so you are keeping the whole enclosure at that level. what about inside the hide box

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have 2 hides for him, both at the same end,one is a half log (which he doesn't use at night) and the other is a small clay type cactus pot(that he just does fit in) I use a che with a lamp dimmer to control the temps at this end of the enclosure, a little cooler a night than the day time temps which are also cooler than the other end where the basking light is.I have the clay hide buried a little so that the substrate goes in it with the same moisture level as the rest of the enclosure, the clay pot holds moisture also.I was going to put a dimmer on the basking light but found if I adjusted it up a little to where it heated the side more I could get the temp I wanted at ground level, he has a variance of temps in that corner and he naps in different spots during the day,even if it's an inch this way or that way he can find what temp he is looking for. As for the correct temp variance, I have about a 20 degree variance with the cooler spot in the center of the enclosure, but not sure what would be correct,basically I have 80 on one end 70 in the middle and 90 on the other end. I also have a glazed plate in the middle section and a dry clay saucer on the basking end that are there just in case he wants to get off the substrate for a while,and he does every so often. But remember I am new with stars I learning as I go. Len

HtVic

5 Year Member
the temp just like I thought, and I am thinking control it as same as you did...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.