Humidity for Sulcatas winter enclosure?

KatJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
7BC48D3E-38A9-4F24-9BBB-8502FAACFDEA.jpeg Hello all! We live in southern Virginia. Our winters a milder than the rest of VA, but still freezing most nights. Our sulcata has a 4x8 insulated and heated outdoor enclosure with UVB, and I was just wondering what the humidity should be like in there.. we have a misting system, since without it, it gets to be like 15% which I know is not good. So now I’m just trying to find out the right amount of humidity! Should it vary between day and night? He’s about 60 pounds. Thanks all.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Do you let him out during the day or is he closed in when the weather is cold ? I'm north of you in the norther neck and my sulcata comes out almost every day no matter how cold it is. He is bigger than yours which helps him hold his core body temperature up longer. His door stays open 24 7 with layers of vinyl and poly flaps to keep the warm air in and the cold air out. For some reason during the winter he poops in his house which helps to raise the humidity level. and also during winter he usually drinks daily from his water bowl which in just outside near his door. He has lived outside full time since 2008. With him coming out daily I have no lights inside his 8 x 8 ft house.

KatJ

5 Year Member
Virginia
Do you let him out during the day or is he closed in when the weather is cold ? I'm north of you in the norther neck and my sulcata comes out almost every day no matter how cold it is. He is bigger than yours which helps him hold his core body temperature up longer. His door stays open 24 7 with layers of vinyl and poly flaps to keep the warm air in and the cold air out. For some reason during the winter he poops in his house which helps to raise the humidity level. and also during winter he usually drinks daily from his water bowl which in just outside near his door. He has lived outside full time since 2008. With him coming out daily I have no lights inside his 8 x 8 ft house.

He comes and goes as he pleases. He has vinyl flaps, but I still button it up at night sometimes over the winter because it’s not so great at trapping heat. I’ll layering vinyl and poly like you! I’m assuming you have a heat pad for him? Mine also poops inside during the winter, and I keep his water dish by the door, rather than out in the yard. Thank you!

Also, I think I’ve heard of you! I grew up in KG and one of my friends from Westmoreland was telling me about someone with a sulcata that lives outdoors year round... would that be you, by chance?

Last edited:

KatJ

5 Year Member
Virginia
I'd suggest 50-70% humidity for one that size as long as you are keeping the temp in the 80s' 24/7.

Oh good. That’s been about where it’s at. Temps are 85-90 all day. When he gets bigger will the humidity need to be changed, or is it just higher for younger ones?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh good. That’s been about where it’s at. Temps are 85-90 all day. When he gets bigger will the humidity need to be changed, or is it just higher for younger ones?
For babies and small ones, I like humidity to be 80-90%. Once they get some size on them, I think a more moderate humidity of 50-70% suits them well, and somewhat simulates the humidity that is likely to be found in a burrow in the wild during the dry season over there. I wish we had actual measurements from burrows over there, but until we do, that is my best guess. I think 50-70% is good for their whole lives. Yes they can survive lower humidity levels as adults, but I don't think that low humidity is "good" for them.

KatJ

5 Year Member
Virginia
For babies and small ones, I like humidity to be 80-90%. Once they get some size on them, I think a more moderate humidity of 50-70% suits them well, and somewhat simulates the humidity that is likely to be found in a burrow in the wild during the dry season over there. I wish we had actual measurements from burrows over there, but until we do, that is my best guess. I think 50-70% is good for their whole lives. Yes they can survive lower humidity levels as adults, but I don't think that low humidity is "good" for them.

Okay. Yeah, I wish we knew more about their actual environments too, but your tortoises are beautiful! Thank you for the advice. I’m glad I was already in a good zone with his humidity.

Len B

10 Year Member!
He comes and goes as he pleases. He has vinyl flaps, but I still button it up at night sometimes over the winter because it’s not so great at trapping heat. I’ll layering vinyl and poly like you! I’m assuming you have a heat pad for him? Mine also poops inside during the winter, and I keep his water dish by the door, rather than out in the yard. Thank you!

Also, I think I’ve heard of you! I grew up in KG and one of my friends from Westmoreland was telling me about someone with a sulcata that lives outdoors year round... would that be you, by chance?
There is a 3x4 ft heat mat, a CHE and a oil filled electric radiator heater in his house. It does take a lot of layers of alternating flaps to help keep the heat in. Most likely it is, Walker is pretty well known around the Colonial Beach area.

KatJ

5 Year Member
Virginia
There is a 3x4 ft heat mat, a CHE and a oil filled electric radiator heater in his house. It does take a lot of layers of alternating flaps to help keep the heat in. Most likely it is, Walker is pretty well known around the Colonial Beach area.
Yup, it was in Colonial Beach! Small world.
I have a CHE and an oil filled radiator. As he gets bigger I think we’ll be getting a heat pad too. But I’ll try layering like you’ve got it, and maybe I can leave his door open more often for natural sun!

Len B

10 Year Member!
I think the heat mat is the most important source of heat in Walkers house, People will tell you that you can't heat a tortoise house with a Stanfield or Kane mat. I've never used the Kane brand but I have used the Stanfield with great success and until it gets colder or we have high winds it's the only heat source that is needed to keep him warm and safe. The house design and proper insulation make it possible.I have 3 temperature sending units in his house hanging a the height of the top of his shell when he laying down, right now they are reading 89.5, 90, 91.F. the air temp is 64 outside.The mat is the only thing running at about 150 watts usage.And here is Walker at about 3 pm this afternoon, he's been out and about since about 11 am. Picture 003.jpg He munches on the fallen maple tree leaves all winter.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Pouring down rain today Len, it’s close to 100% humidity today... Our Sully, sitting on her Kane heat pad, has head stuck out of the enclosure watching it rain. Enjoying a nice bath.

I’m working however on an indoor night box now, soon the snow will fly. New box will have a heat mat and new 129w RHP.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Here is something else that I have for Walker, It's used mostly during the colder months and the old one finally fell apart so he got a new umbrella today. He noticed it right off and had to come and check it out.Picture 004.jpg Picture 005.jpg It started raining as i was putting it up so at 5 when I figured he was heading into his house soon I put a small amount of mazuri under it. He ate the mazuri and went in about 5:30Picture 007.jpg I set this up a few years back mainly to keep a clean dry feeding area for him when it snows but keeps the mazuri dry when raining until he decides to eat it which is usually one of the last things he does before heading in for the night.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Here is something else that I have for Walker, It's used mostly during the colder months and the old one finally fell apart so he got a new umbrella today. He noticed it right off and had to come and check it out.View attachment 282570 View attachment 282571 It started raining as i was putting it up so at 5 when I figured he was heading into his house soon I put a small amount of mazuri under it. He ate the mazuri and went in about 5:30View attachment 282572 I set this up a few years back mainly to keep a clean dry feeding area for him when it snows but keeps the mazuri dry when raining until he decides to eat it which is usually one of the last things he does before heading in for the night.

Too funny, but nice. I’m sure Walker appreciates the crunchy Mazuri!

KatJ

5 Year Member
Virginia
Here is something else that I have for Walker, It's used mostly during the colder months and the old one finally fell apart so he got a new umbrella today. He noticed it right off and had to come and check it out.View attachment 282570 View attachment 282571 It started raining as i was putting it up so at 5 when I figured he was heading into his house soon I put a small amount of mazuri under it. He ate the mazuri and went in about 5:30View attachment 282572 I set this up a few years back mainly to keep a clean dry feeding area for him when it snows but keeps the mazuri dry when raining until he decides to eat it which is usually one of the last things he does before heading in for the night.
I’m surprised he doesn’t try to go through your fence! Ours seems to want to go through anything he perceives his head fitting through...
I am looking into getting a heat mat, and was coming back here to ask for recommendations, but you’ve already answered me!

Len B

10 Year Member!
I’m surprised he doesn’t try to go through your fence! Ours seems to want to go through anything he perceives his head fitting through...
I am looking into getting a heat mat, and was coming back here to ask for recommendations, but you’ve already answered me!
I've never had a problem with the chain link fence, his head wont fit thru the openings so he can't get his head stuck. The only time he pushes at the fence is at the gate if I'm on the other side and he wants to get to me. But that's only for a few seconds before he looses interest and goes about his way.They are funny animals the other day I had the leaf blower out to clean around the back door and patio area and moved a 40 pound propane tank that hasn't been used for many years about a foot to get at the leaves behind it and forgot to put it back. A little later I found the tank on it's side in the yard about 30 feet away. I put it back in the original spot and he hasn't touched it since.

KatJ

5 Year Member
Virginia

Could you possibly link your sources for the poly and vinyl you’ve used to layer his entrance? I have trouble finding it in small quantities and clear! Thanks.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Could you possibly link your sources for the poly and vinyl you’ve used to layer his entrance? I have trouble finding it in small quantities and clear! Thanks.

I’ll just chime in here and say you really don’t have to use clear/vinyl slats. I purchased a nice cheap rubber door mat, cut slits 3/4 of the way up, and mounted. I don’t think torts really care what you have/use, as long as it kind of keeps the heat in, elements out. Just a few tidbits of what i use. Good luck.

Len B

10 Year Member!
The vinyl can be found at fabric stores and Wal Marts that sell fabric. They have clear and tinted in different thicknesses. It's sold by the yard and is 54 inches wide.They poly I use is 6 mil poly is off 20 ft X 100 ft rolls that I've had since i retired back in 2002 it came from a insulation supply house. I know they carry 10 x 100 ft rolls but have no idea of the cost. You could check out poly drop cloths use for painting. I use the poly because i have so much of it but the vinyl holds up so much better.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Las Vegas here. I have a terrible time trying to create humidity. In the summer its ok because I can wet the substrate in Koopas shed as the ambient temp in there ranges from 90-110 & she has a large water to sit in. In the winter my oil heater only getS the shed up to 70 at 9, so I built a smaller box in the shed witj the kane heat mat. My oil heater just gave out (it was 15 years old). The new one I got was inefficient in at raising the temp at all! Don’t know what to do about the humidity accept lock her in on warm days and wet everything down. Now without my oil heater, the ambient is only 60-62 in the shed... still looking for replacement. And currently trying to get a radiant heat panel to put inside the box 7749115E-A1E1-4C62-A205-401F0BF44B30.jpegF465CD4B-5B09-4E68-A376-DAFDF2C601B3.jpeg

KatJ

5 Year Member
Virginia
He’s been slow and reluctant to come out since we got the cold snap here recently! I need to get him a heating mat I think, and get vinyl. Now that I know they sell it Walmart I’ll go grab some today!

Attachments

• D59319D7-ABB7-49CD-8D67-63C6B1D3E6D7.jpeg
    D59319D7-ABB7-49CD-8D67-63C6B1D3E6D7.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11