Humidity for marginated tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
Hi sorry another question. How much humidity should a marginated tortoise have as on other post on here people have told me my tortoise may need higher humidity but from what I read on the Internet it say low humidity so thought would ask thoughts who have one? Also what substrate do you use?

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
I use coco coir and I keep the humidity about 40%. I spray the coir lightly every morning with water to keep the humidity stable. My marginated drinks a lot of water and enjoys soaks often too.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
ustwoandthekids said:
So they don't need it to dry? But not too wet?

I wouldn't make the cage wet but having humidity and a layer of moist coir under the top wont hurt them at all. I have a humidity reader in the cages and I try to keep them about 40 percent but I don't stress if they go below that for a bit.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
50-70%, even to 75%. Marginateds are very prone to pyramiding in captivity. Babies especially should be kept well hydrated at all times which includes a suitable ambient air humidity such as mentioned above, adequate substrate moisture and always have acess to clean drinking water or at least be soaked every other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.