Humidity and heat for 2 month redfoot

KristenandPete

i switched the bulb out because it was too intense for my tortoise. But that bulb kept the humidity and heat up. My humidity sits at about 70 and my heat 76 how do I amp up the heat and humidity and what is normal for baby redfoots. Oh and the enclosure is closed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
To dilute the brightness you can raise the bulb a bit and add some plants under it (either real or fake). I put up a shelf along the back wall with small plants on the shelf and the tube-type UVB bulb above that. With the fluorescent bulb you can use a CHE for heat.:

Manouria tort table c.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
i switched the bulb out because it was too intense for my tortoise. But that bulb kept the humidity and heat up. My humidity sits at about 70 and my heat 76 how do I amp up the heat and humidity and what is normal for baby redfoots. Oh and the enclosure is closed.
I aim for 80/90% humidity and an ambient temp between 82/86f. To do this I use a CHE on a stat along side a florescent uvb strip light 5.0. Substrate is a 2" layer of coir with orchid bark on top. The evaporation from 2 water dishes seems to keep humidity where I want it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I aim for 80/90% humidity and an ambient temp between 82/86f. To do this I use a CHE on a stat along side a florescent uvb strip light 5.0. Substrate is a 2" layer of coir with orchid bark on top. The evaporation from 2 water dishes seems to keep humidity where I want it.
Sounds great to me.
I do things a little differently, but that's not unusual when we all live in different climates.
Whatever gives you those results is right for you.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Sounds great to me.
I do things a little differently, but that's not unusual when we all live in different climates.
Whatever gives you those results is right for you.
Share how you do it please Ed. I'm guessing you have virtually the opposite problems to me. Do you ever have to deal with your torts overheating.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I use no extra heat. Just an 18" 5.0 strip florescent.
I also need to add liquid into the enclosure about once a week due to the house air conditioners habit of drying the air.
I used to do/have a lot more fancy tricks, but for me, this minimalistic setup gives me 77 at night. Light off. 84ish during the day. Maybe up to 85 with light on.
And over 80% constant humidity.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Sounds good, you guys have to extract the humidity from your homes :eek:.
In a cooler climate I can not think of a simpler and cheaper way other than a CHE and uvb strip 5.0 in a closed system for redfoots. This way I don't dry out the carapace either with an intense bulb.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
A big bonus with my setup has been an absence of bright lights.
Ed. I get up at 5am every week day, I've noticed before the lights come in the enclosures my baby reds are active, there is natural light of dawn coming into the house and that's it. Also since I've only started lighting up half the enclosure with a fluorescent strip uvb they are more active.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
My outdoors Redfoot are also up at the absolute crack of dawn, while it's cool.
Then disappear untill later in the day when it gets cooler.
I think it's just the way they are hard wired.
I've learned that they don't like much light and they don't want the heat of the day.