Humidity and Food Questions - Sulcata Hatchling

vianey1126

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Arizona
Hello all!

I recently just got my first new little sulcata hatchling named Tortilla! Everything seems to be running okay: The minimum temp all around is 80/85 degrees with high 90s in basking area during the day. The humid hide seems to be working nicely because Tortilla really likes to camp out in there a lot. I just keep having problems keeping my humidity up! It keeps trying to go down to mid 50s, so I try to mist often which gets it higher up. Lately, it has been wanting to stay up to high 60s, but I would like to get it higher. Any tips? (Closed enclosure of course). If it explains anything, I live in Southern Arizona.

I have been reading the little care sheets as well and I was still wondering what is your guys' favorite affordable things to feed your torts. I've only had Tortilla for a few days and would like to give them a bit more of a variety as I just have mazuri pellets at the moment. Also, do you always just have food available or only once a day at a certain time?

Finally, I keep my tortoise enclosure in my room because I don't want my roommates to mess with them. I would like to keep my room smelling a bit nicer, so my question is: is it okay to use melting wax or oils to keep the room smelling nice? If so, what are some scents I should stay away from and what are some you guys recommend?

I know my questions are a bit all over the place, but I would really appreciate all of your input. You guys are great! If you need more info or pics, I would be happy to supply them. Thanks in advance!

-- Vianey

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all!

I recently just got my first new little sulcata hatchling named Tortilla! Everything seems to be running okay: The minimum temp all around is 80/85 degrees with high 90s in basking area during the day. The humid hide seems to be working nicely because Tortilla really likes to camp out in there a lot. I just keep having problems keeping my humidity up! It keeps trying to go down to mid 50s, so I try to mist often which gets it higher up. Lately, it has been wanting to stay up to high 60s, but I would like to get it higher. Any tips? (Closed enclosure of course). If it explains anything, I live in Southern Arizona.

I have been reading the little care sheets as well and I was still wondering what is your guys' favorite affordable things to feed your torts. I've only had Tortilla for a few days and would like to give them a bit more of a variety as I just have mazuri pellets at the moment. Also, do you always just have food available or only once a day at a certain time?

Finally, I keep my tortoise enclosure in my room because I don't want my roommates to mess with them. I would like to keep my room smelling a bit nicer, so my question is: is it okay to use melting wax or oils to keep the room smelling nice? If so, what are some scents I should stay away from and what are some you guys recommend?

I know my questions are a bit all over the place, but I would really appreciate all of your input. You guys are great! If you need more info or pics, I would be happy to supply them. Thanks in advance!

-- Vianey
All of this is explained in the care sheet. You can't keep humidity up with an open top. You tortoise is going to irreversibly pyramid if you don't change this.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181504/

Tortoises have very good senses of smell. I wouldn't use scented candles around them.

The best tortoise foods are free. Its all in the care sheet. They should have a big pile that they can graze on all day.

vianey1126

Southern Arizona
All of this is explained in the care sheet. You can't keep humidity up with an open top. You tortoise is going to irreversibly pyramid if you don't change this.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181504/

Tortoises have very good senses of smell. I wouldn't use scented candles around them.

The best tortoise foods are free. Its all in the care sheet. They should have a big pile that they can graze on all day.
Thanks Tom! Fortunately they don't live in an open top enclosure. I've been keeping up with the little research here. I guess theres probably some air escaping somehow. I'll definitely keep in mind about the scented candles.