Humidifier inside enclosure

MichiganMan

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Just wanted to run this by the experts and see what they think. Wanted to keep the humidity up in my tortoise table and bought a greenhouse to put over the top of it. If I put a small humidifier inside the enclosure would it end up messing up the T5 HO fixture or anything electrical from the access moisture? Starting to set a table up and just want to think things through before getting some hatchlings. Thanks.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!

What species of tortoise is going in this enclosure? How many?

Hatchling tortoises should not be housed in open topped enclosures because of the improbability of keeping humidity. Humidifiers are not needed because anything that requires humidity should be housed in a closed chamber if indoors.

However, if the greenhouse holds enough humidity, it may be considered a closed chamber. In that case there’s really no need to have a humidifier since you can just make sure the substrate is moist and that the humidity is staying inside. The humidifier won’t hurt, but there isn’t really a need for it.

If this is a more temperate species, you may consider starting them in large sterilite tubs or iris Christmas tree tubs, if you can find any, until they’re older and can be housed in a drier set up.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Your T5 is likely not waterproof.
But I've used T8 in my enclosed chambers before without issue.
Can you mount it in a place away from where water may collect?
Is the fixture in a plastic or metal case?
I also agree that with this semi closed chamber design, you can do away with a humidifier.

MichiganMan

Michigan
Wanted to keep the humidity up in my tortoise table and bought a greenhouse to put over the top of it.

Yeah I'm aware of open tables not keeping humidity that's why I'm putting a greenhouse over the top of it. My question was would the humidifier mess up the lights or fixtures from the access moisture? Haven't decided on a specific species yet but I do know hatchlings need extra humidity and heat, or at least the ones I'm interested in. The greenhouse cover should hold humidity and heat in.

MichiganMan

Michigan
Your T5 is likely not waterproof.
But I've used T8 in my enclosed chambers before without issue.
Can you mount it in a place away from where water may collect?
Is the fixture in a plastic or metal case?
I also agree that with this semi closed chamber design, you can do away with a humidifier.

Ok. No humidifier then. Thanks.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ok. No humidifier then. Thanks.
Generally you add some water around the edges of the enclosure into your substrate and it slowly releases humidity.
The closed system keeps in both humidity and warmth much better.
Save your money and keep it as simple as you can.