Humid hides, the never ending question!

Odin & Thor

So, I've got two star babies, but I have a hard time keeping the humidity up! So I asked the breeder what to do about it, and he said I should make a humid hide for them. I did, but I cannot keep the humidity and temperatur up! Either it's to dry and warm or to cold and wet... So I tried placing the humid hide above a heating mat, fixed underneath their enclosure, and now they seem to love it! It is hot and humid - but I also know that placing a heated mat underneath is a no no!

How do you keep it warm and moist? I tried a bunch of different things but NOTHING seems to work!

Also, I tried searching the forum to answer my question, but I couldn't find it - I hope someone has the answer to my problem!

(I use a mix of cocosoir and sand)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings and welcome. First question, how large of an enclosure, is it covered, and what kind of lights are you using, and their locations relative to the surface.?

I guess that is more than one question. For substrate, id suggest removing the sand and add in coir, peat moss and/or orchid bark mix.

Send in a pix, I'm sure many will contribute.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Hello! As stated above, sand should be taken out. It doesnt hold moisture well. Pictures of the enclosure will help us better assist you. :)