Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I made a couple of new ones today. Here's the pics:

First I cut the holes out with a hole saw. This can be done lots of ways, I just used the tools I had on hand.
2rca2ig.jpg

Then I use a Dremel to shape the door and a knife to cut away the excess, frayed plastic.
24oqarp.jpg

207npdj.jpg

Next I wash the tub with soapy water and after a thorough rinse, I put in some stuff. In this case I'm using fine coco fiber (Thanks Tyler). I mix it with water as I go. You could also use long fibered sphagnum moss, sphagnum peat moss, coco chips or cypress mulch. Just make sure its something that resists mold and mildew.
a5c8s5.jpg

Next I move the substrate out of the way and rest the tub on the bottom of the enclosure. Then I move the substrate back and make it all level so the door, the inside and the outside are all at the same level. I also like to put some substrate on the roof to make it darker. I prefer to use opaque tubs, but didn't feel like driving all over town to find them.
2rcs9jn.jpg

64mm3r.jpg

Here's the finished product in place. In this case they can walk all the way around behind the hide box too.
2nusxmx.jpg

I use plexiglass covers over some enclosures to keep in the humidity here in the CA desert. Just an extra step that some people won't need, depending on the humidity in the room where you keep your tortoise.
2yl7ogh.jpg

6zuf52.jpg

Hope this inspires someone to go make their own humid hide box for their hatchling. These are good for hatchlings of ALL tortoise species with just minor tweaks.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
What kind of substate is that? It looks very fine grown. Not chunky

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Fine Coco fiber.. I like th elook of that.. fine, not chunky.. moist, easy to work with, looks nice, firm enough for traction..
Like...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Angi said:
What kind of substate is that? It looks very fine grown. Not chunky

The substrate inside the humid hide box is fine coco fiber. The stuff outside is regular coco coir. I pack it down by hand a bit for better footing.

Status
Not open for further replies.